Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

27 Sep, 2021
2021-9-27 3:56:53 PM UTC
Amedautrui
Apart from the not so good impression quality of the Tree of Amalion and the difference of paper cover, my copy doesn't have the problems you've listed on the endpapers or frontispice.
You have received a bad copy. Ask for a replacement.
27 Sep, 2021
2021-9-27 4:19:09 PM UTC

Amedautrui wrote:

First disappointment - the image (the Tree of Amalion) on the face cover of the book is not embossed (as it has always been in DeLuxes). It’s just an image printed on a paper. And not the highest quality of image details. By the way the paper for covers is creamy and not grayish with small points (like it has always been across DeLuxe editions).

I commented just before you about this. It’s just sad (sad, sad, sad!) because it looks like something I might’ve printed at home back in 1997 using a blown up image of a low res picture. How hard could it have been to just foil emboss the damn image(!) ?

As for the other issues, they constitute a damaged copy, and I think you’d be well within your rights to ask for a refund or replacement.

Overall… I feel you! ?
27 Sep, 2021
2021-9-27 4:25:43 PM UTC
Sure, but do you understand that it is not a kind of damage that my book copy got while transporting? In has been publisher sealed in film and in publisher voix that was itself in a bookshop wrapping. Endpapers damage as well as frontispiece fold-wears are serious production issues and quality control issues of the printer, LEGO Spa in this case.
27 Sep, 2021
2021-9-27 4:38:52 PM UTC
Yes of course those are production issues which is why you should ask for a refund or replacement. You may have got one from a bad batch.

The foldout image by Ted Nasmith in my copy feels like it will fall apart in three pieces - the folds are *that* pressed - like a page would be if one were to run their fingernails along a crease in order to tear it along a neat straight line. Thankfully this is the only “issue” I have.
27 Sep, 2021
2021-9-27 9:12:33 PM UTC

Amedautrui wrote:

Sure, but do you understand that it is not a kind of damage that my book copy got while transporting? In has been publisher sealed in film and in publisher voix that was itself in a bookshop wrapping. Endpapers damage as well as frontispiece fold-wears are serious production issues and quality control issues of the printer, LEGO Spa in this case.

Just request a replacement or refund from whomever you bought it from. Your copy is very defective and should not have made it out of the printers. FWIW, my copy doesn't exhibit the issues yours does (beyond the design choices, such as using a plain paper on covers - but they aren't under any obligation to make every book identical in design).

With regards the tree image, I don't think it actually looks that bad, even with my reading glasses on. And I normally complain about that kind of thing...
27 Sep, 2021
2021-9-27 10:46:38 PM UTC
I dropped one of my older books a while back and it bounced down a few stairs. Luckily the cover stayed on but it does have splits on the inside the same as yours looks like. Perhaps it was dropped before then being wrapped in cellophane? I’ve not heard of anyone else having a defective copy so may not be a manufacturing issue?
Definitely seek a replacement in any case.
27 Sep, 2021
2021-9-27 11:38:23 PM UTC

Stu wrote:

Amedautrui wrote:

Just request a replacement or refund from whomever you bought it from. Your copy is very defective and should not have made it out of the printers. FWIW, my copy doesn't exhibit the issues yours does (beyond the design choices, such as using a plain paper on covers - but they aren't under any obligation to make every book identical in design).

With regards the tree image, I don't think it actually looks that bad, even with my reading glasses on. And I normally complain about that kind of thing...

I agree with Stu here. My copy ordered from Blackwells didn't have any of these issues and I cannot see any reductions in quality from my other 1st prints in this series. I think that HC was going for the matching color scheme with Tolkien's drawing and the color of the boards and I think they got those colors right IMO.

The only issue I have is that the volume itself is slightly taller than the rest.
27 Sep, 2021
2021-9-27 11:54:58 PM UTC

huan68 wrote:

I dropped one of my older books a while back and it bounced down a few stairs. Luckily the cover stayed on but it does have splits on the inside the same as yours looks like. Perhaps it was dropped before then being wrapped in cellophane? I’ve not heard of anyone else having a defective copy so may not be a manufacturing issue?

I'm always worried I'm going to do something like that...
28 Sep, 2021
2021-9-28 2:07:43 AM UTC

Mr. Underhill wrote:

huan68 wrote:

You could always buy another one - these deluxes aren’t really limited. *ducks* ?
28 Sep, 2021
2021-9-28 3:15:52 AM UTC

eorl wrote:

Mr. Underhill wrote:

huan68 wrote:

You could always buy another one - these deluxes aren’t really limited. *ducks* ?

Oh, you cynic. No way will they still be printing these in the 2100s.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us