Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

The Lord of the Rings Illustrated Deluxe Edition 2021

23 Oct, 2021
2021-10-23 9:02:48 PM UTC

Hello all! I just received my copy of the Deluxe Edition and wow it's beautiful! However, oddly enough my pages were printed upside down and backward. Crazy right?! haha. In the process of getting this sorted.

I do have a question though, how can I tell if it is a first printing and see the number of which it is inside of the printing? I also want to order another one to have the pages in the right order and direction. If I buy off of Amazon UK, can I still expect it is of the first printing?

See picture of copyright page. Thanks for any insights.

5370_617478788f5e3.jpg 467X1000 px
23 Oct, 2021
2021-10-23 9:12:16 PM UTC
The "1" on the Copyright Page under "This illustrated deluxe edition........" indicates a first printing.

Most likely if you buy again you will get a first printing (but this can never be guaranteed). There seems to be supply issues at the moment - Amazon currently have none in stock and my pre-order still has not shipped. Many other suppliers are out of stock. But best guess is supply problems rather than being sold out.
23 Oct, 2021
2021-10-23 9:15:11 PM UTC
Wonderful, that is what I was thinking and hoping. Thank you so much for the reply. I can tell you now, you'll love it, well worth the wait.
23 Oct, 2021
2021-10-23 9:17:56 PM UTC

remy wrote:

The "1" on the Copyright Page under "This illustrated deluxe edition........" indicates a first printing.

Most likely if you buy again you will get a first printing (but this can never be guaranteed). There seems to be supply issues at the moment - Amazon currently have none in stock and my pre-order still has not shipped. Many other suppliers are out of stock. But best guess is supply problems rather than being sold out.

If you desperately want to get it, you might want to pick up a copy at one of the retailers that has it. No guarantee that Amazon will be able to fulfil your pre-order.
23 Oct, 2021
2021-10-23 9:26:36 PM UTC

Stu wrote:

If you desperately want to get it, you might want to pick up a copy at one of the retailers that has it. No guarantee that Amazon will be able to fulfil your pre-order.

I have 2 pre-orders, One from Amazon UK and one from Amazon Spain (a bargain at 95 Euro - £80). Neither have shipped yet.

I may buy from another retailer soon if neither ship but so far am very confident that it is just supply delays and they will be shipped eventually.
23 Oct, 2021
2021-10-23 9:32:40 PM UTC
I received this copy of Amazon UK, due to the pages being upside down and backward they are giving me a partial refund. Of which I used to purchase a 2nd one that is said to be delivered between November 5th - November 17th.

The backward one I'll use to read through and the other is a collector item at this point. Maybe the backward will be worth more as it will be more rare. ha

Best of luck with your orders, hope they get there soon.
23 Oct, 2021
2021-10-23 9:42:28 PM UTC

Aregan2469 wrote:

The backward one I'll use to read through and the other is a collector item at this point. Maybe the backward will be worth more as it will be more rare.

Does not really work like that for books, printers errors usually mean the book is not worth anything.

Use it as your reading copy as it is fine for that.
23 Oct, 2021
2021-10-23 9:50:37 PM UTC

Aregan2469 wrote:

I received this copy of Amazon UK, due to the pages being upside down and backward they are giving me a partial refund. Of which I used to purchase a 2nd one that is said to be delivered between November 5th - November 17th.

The backward one I'll use to read through and the other is a collector item at this point. Maybe the backward will be worth more as it will be more rare. ha

Best of luck with your orders, hope they get there soon.

That should have been a full refund. A page block bound in upside-down into the boards would render the book worthless. OK as a reading copy, but no economic value.
23 Oct, 2021
2021-10-23 10:06:57 PM UTC
Suppose you are both right - it's a reading copy at this point which I'm grateful to have, I can't say enough how beautiful it is.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us