Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

3 Jan, 2022
2022-1-3 10:03:04 PM UTC

onthetrail wrote:

Stu wrote:

I only just realised that I - completely coincidentally - was married on Tolkien's birthday (more than a decade ago). How did I not notice this until now?

That said, forgot my anniversary again until it was pointed out to me. Just like in every 1970s British sitcom (though in those, the protagonist usually pretends to have forgotten and then the wife gets super-upset and "hilarious" shenanigans ensue).

Stu, man oh man. You better get your thinking cap on and find a very big bunch of flowers.

I'd best get on the internet, find an episode of Terry and June, and figure out how to get out of this scrape.
3 Jan, 2022
2022-1-3 10:27:00 PM UTC

Stu wrote:

onthetrail wrote:

Stu wrote:

I only just realised that I - completely coincidentally - was married on Tolkien's birthday (more than a decade ago). How did I not notice this until now?

That said, forgot my anniversary again until it was pointed out to me. Just like in every 1970s British sitcom (though in those, the protagonist usually pretends to have forgotten and then the wife gets super-upset and "hilarious" shenanigans ensue).

Stu, man oh man. You better get your thinking cap on and find a very big bunch of flowers.

I'd best get on the internet, find an episode of Terry and June, and figure out how to get out of this scrape.

Clearly you have thought this through
4 Jan, 2022
2022-1-4 7:15:29 PM UTC

Stu wrote:

Are you a member of the TS?
4 Jan, 2022
2022-1-4 9:03:53 PM UTC

Khamûl wrote:

Stu wrote:

Are you a member of the TS?

Nope, so never get reminded by the annual toast. I expect I *have* noticed the date before, and promptly forgotten about it. I expect I will have forgotten by next year...
4 Jan, 2022
2022-1-4 11:10:26 PM UTC
Stu:

Just tell your wife that you're so in love that every day feels like your wedding day, and so you don't notice anniversaries or the passage of time....
5 Jan, 2022
2022-1-5 4:24:58 AM UTC

Aelfwine wrote:

Stu:

Just tell your wife that you're so in love that every day feels like your wedding day, and so you don't notice anniversaries or the passage of time....

Now THAT is good advice! :)
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us