Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

23 Feb, 2022
2022-2-23 2:37:56 PM UTC
Your list is complete but CoH was actually published in 2007 before the Silmarillion to be accurate ?.
23 Feb, 2022
2022-2-23 9:20:50 PM UTC
Indeed. CoH was published in April 2007; S coincided with it's 30th Anniversary, in Sept. 2007.
23 Feb, 2022
2022-2-23 9:46:26 PM UTC
Yeah, I always have these books on my shelf in publication order, with CoH as number 3 and Sil and number 4.
25 Feb, 2022 (edited)
2022-2-25 10:06:08 PM UTC
Thanks for the info. I have corrected the order in the original post.

Now that the list is correct, the next "mission" is to find the missing books. I know S&G is not on its 1st print and I haven't been able to find it, but does anyone know if HoMe still happens to be on its 1st print?

In fact I think I remember some issue with the 1st print of HoMe that it somehow got 1st prints in different places or something to that effect. Does anyone remember the full story?
25 Feb, 2022
2022-2-25 10:46:56 PM UTC

Morinehtar wrote:

Now that the list is correct, the next "mission" is to find the missing books. I know S&G is not on its 1st print and I haven't been able to find it, but does anyone know if HoMe still happens to be on its 1st print?

In fact I think I remember some issue with the 1st print of HoMe that it somehow got 1st prints in different places or something to that effect. Does anyone remember the full story?

HoME has had numerous prints at this point. The (real) 1st was printed by Clays, and the 2nd (also labelled the first) was printed a few weeks later by LEGO, SpA. The Clays edition was pretty rough. I think there have been reprints by both LEGO and Rotolito.
25 Feb, 2022
2022-2-25 11:07:37 PM UTC

Stu wrote:

Morinehtar wrote:

HoME has had numerous prints at this point. The (real) 1st was printed by Clays, and the 2nd (also labelled the first) was printed a few weeks later by LEGO, SpA. The Clays edition was pretty rough. I think there have been reprints by both LEGO and Rotolito.

A friend of mine bought the HoME set over the summer (about 9 months ago) and they were 5th prints from Rotolito. So could be 6th by now...but probably still 5th's
25 Feb, 2022 (edited)
2022-2-25 11:56:31 PM UTC
I see, so I'll look for the HoMe "1st print" by LEGO.

By the way, I received NoMe not long ago and was concerned it could be a 2nd print because of the info in the dedicated post, but thankfully it was a nice 1st print by LEGO without bumps or defects. I'm glad they finally did something to mitigate shipping damage, the new boxes really help.

Did Kullervo ever receive a nice reprint? I remember the 1st print had several problems. I even had a copy with the text printed upside-down!
26 Feb, 2022
2022-2-26 12:28:49 AM UTC

Morinehtar wrote:

I see, so I'll look for the HoMe "1st print" by LEGO.

By the way, I received NoMe not long ago and was concerned it could be a 2nd print because of the info in the dedicated post, but thankfully it was a nice 1st print by LEGO without bumps or defects. I'm glad they finally did something to mitigate shipping damage, the new boxes really help.

Did Kullervo ever receive a nice reprint? I remember the 1st print had several problems. I even had a copy with the text printed upside-down!

Pretty sure Kullervo got a reprint (that was still marked as "1st") that resolved the issues. That's just based in my recollection of seeing what appeared to be such a thing on eBay. It has definitely been reprinted, but take the prior statement as unreliable unless someone else corroborates.
26 Feb, 2022
2022-2-26 12:32:09 AM UTC
Ok, seems reasonable. I got a somewhat decent copy, but was never fully satisfied with the quality.

Regarding long term storage, I've been removing the shrink wrap and placing them in my bookcase which is not precisely right next to a window, but also not in a cool dark place. Do you think this will eventually harm the books getting them "sunned", causing foxing, etc?
26 Feb, 2022
2022-2-26 12:54:55 AM UTC

Morinehtar wrote:

Ok, seems reasonable. I got a somewhat decent copy, but was never fully satisfied with the quality.

Regarding long term storage, I've been removing the shrink wrap and placing them in my bookcase which is not precisely right next to a window, but also not in a cool dark place. Do you think this will eventually harm the books getting them "sunned", causing foxing, etc?

Tales from the Perilous Realm 1st print is definitely subject to fading (seen several examples with fading on eBay) - I'd keep that one pretty dark. I've not noticed any problems with the others in any pictures I've seen. That said, I'd always keep books out of direct sunlight and any significantly reflected sunlight. UV and heat will definitely harm most pigments and dyes given enough time.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us