Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

21 Apr, 2022
2022-4-21 11:47:59 PM UTC
I'll be interested in seeing what it looks like with everything in the slipcase once anyone receives their copies. That was the view that I couldn't see anywhere in the video or pictures, but in some regards is the most important.
21 Apr, 2022
2022-4-21 11:52:33 PM UTC
Crazy hype around this edition. The most interesting thing about this is to see what it leads to going forward. Will Harper Collins and other publishers start pumping out Tolkien limited editions.
21 Apr, 2022
2022-4-21 11:59:15 PM UTC

Vilo wrote:

Crazy hype around this edition. The most interesting thing about this is to see what it leads to going forward. Will Harper Collins and other publishers start pumping out Tolkien limited editions.

They would be mad not to. There is a fine line to be trod to avoid saturating the market, but I suspect there will be quite a rush to capitalise whilst the demand is there.
22 Apr, 2022
2022-4-22 12:11:34 AM UTC

Stu wrote:

Ligandil wrote:

Would people get angry if FS says something like "Due to the overwhelming acceptance, we're releasing 1000 more books of this edition!"?

It'd mean at least $1 million more for them!

That would murder their reputation. I think more likely they would do a different LE (maybe full leather) with all the same stuff in it, set the price even higher and go with that.

They could do a LE of unsigned ones, say, 100 and keep to the tradition of Alan Lee unsigned books being rarer than the signed edition.
22 Apr, 2022
2022-4-22 12:16:16 AM UTC

Stu wrote:

Vilo wrote:

They would be mad not to. There is a fine line to be trod to avoid saturating the market, but I suspect there will be quite a rush to capitalise whilst the demand is there.

You are probably right. Would personally like to see a proper deluxe version of HoME next.
22 Apr, 2022
2022-4-22 12:19:36 AM UTC
I believe the first copy is on Ebay.

This site uses affiliate links for which we may be compensated
Seller: 1988memphis
(295)
Ended Apr 23, 2022
This item ended more than 90 days ago
22 Apr, 2022 (edited)
2022-4-22 12:30:34 AM UTC

Olwe wrote:

I believe the first copy is on Ebay.

This site uses affiliate links for which we may be compensated
Seller: 1988memphis
(295)
Ended Apr 23, 2022
This item ended more than 90 days ago

At least another 500 (at a guess) will have been bought for eBay scalping. We will be seeing them trickle through for years, I think.

I'd love to have real insight into the relative percentage of people who purchased this to own it vs to try and make money off it. I think people on here will not be representative.

228_626211d186452.png 998X848 px
22 Apr, 2022
2022-4-22 6:42:25 AM UTC

northman wrote:

I agree Khamul, but quality of paper and illustrations, how text and art comes through in books of this size. These things need to be experienced also. Like Stu i suspect it will look nice on a shelf but I think it will be a treat to read as well and I certainly plan to do so.

I agree that we'll need to wait to have an assessment of that aspect of quality. FS have at least got reasonable form on telling you what their books are made of, unlike HC.

But if this is a case-binding (i.e. not properly bound, as you'd suspect) then the bigger these things are the worse it will work out in the long-term. The only saving grace is that this isn't a one-volume release; three volumes makes for a more viable page-block.

As discussed previously (& recently) in another thread: take a look at some of those mid-to-large sized square page-block editions you have on your shelves. Even although you have maybe personally owned them from new & have stored them well & handled them little, those bindings are sagging. They're failing. The quality simply isn't there. And as a collector, I just can't afford to pay £1000 of my hard-earned money & not know how these are going to look in 10-20 years time.
22 Apr, 2022
2022-4-22 6:57:55 AM UTC

Khamûl wrote:

northman wrote:

I agree Khamul, but quality of paper and illustrations, how text and art comes through in books of this size. These things need to be experienced also. Like Stu i suspect it will look nice on a shelf but I think it will be a treat to read as well and I certainly plan to do so.

I agree that we'll need to wait to have an assessment of that aspect of quality. FS have at least got reasonable form on telling you what their books are made of, unlike HC.

But if this is a case-binding (i.e. not properly bound, as you'd suspect) then the bigger these things are the worse it will work out in the long-term. The only saving grace is that this isn't a one-volume release; three volumes makes for a more viable page-block.

As discussed previously (& recently) in another thread: take a look at some of those mid-to-large sized square page-block editions you have on your shelves. Even although you have maybe personally owned them from new & have stored them well & handled them little, those bindings are sagging. They're failing. The quality simply isn't there. And as a collector, I just can't afford to pay £1000 of my hard-earned money & not know how these are going to look in 10-20 years time.

I suppose the fact they will all degrade (or not) largely to the same extent means all copies are in the same boat. I doubt these will be in any structural danger in the 10 - 20 years period. I wouldn't say the same for a copy of - say - the 3 volume Deluxe (cough) HoME from HarperCollins. I've seen those awful tomes falling apart on delivery.
22 Apr, 2022
2022-4-22 9:24:20 AM UTC
IMG_1622 (Large).JPG

Just started unpacking the books, so the pictures of the book next to the 1992 Deluxe to show the size of the books and the packaging, which is fantastic, you should not have any issues with the books getting damaged in the post. The box weighs 11kg, very heavy.

Will post more pictures of the books shortly.

10_62627412e9f85.jpg 1620X1080 px

10_62627412ea3e6.jpg 1620X1080 px

10_62627412ea79b.jpg 1620X1080 px

10_62627412eab0f.jpg 1620X1080 px
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us