Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

28 Jun, 2022
2022-6-28 12:44:39 PM UTC

Trotter wrote:

MarieBreta

Welcome to the forum and am very pleased that you are involved with the Cahors conference.

Will not be able to attend, but am interested in any catalogues, books, etc. for the exhibition, particularly if they include reproductions of the original illustrations by the Queen.

Thank you Trotter!

There should be a catalogue, and I will certainly inquire about any right to reproduce the illustrations. I've been commissioned to write the exhibition leaflet, so I'll also ask about the rights to this piece and see if I can share it elsewhere.
28 Jun, 2022
2022-6-28 1:33:54 PM UTC

MarieBreta wrote:

Trotter wrote:

MarieBreta

Welcome to the forum and am very pleased that you are involved with the Cahors conference.

Will not be able to attend, but am interested in any catalogues, books, etc. for the exhibition, particularly if they include reproductions of the original illustrations by the Queen.

Thank you Trotter!

There should be a catalogue, and I will certainly inquire about any right to reproduce the illustrations. I've been commissioned to write the exhibition leaflet, so I'll also ask about the rights to this piece and see if I can share it elsewhere.

Hi MarieBreta and welcome.

I dearly wish I could attend but alas not this one. Like Trotter I would welcome information on a catalogue and the leaflet. Thank you.
30 Jun, 2022
2022-6-30 2:26:17 PM UTC

Gawain wrote:

Sadly I think even the Danish one according to the box-set I have also just has the Eric Fraser redrawings. I have certainly never been able to identify any differences. The cover of one version of the Tolkien Ensemble Songs and Poems CD is the only place I've seen anything that might be one of her originals

discogs

It seems the CD set has almost all her original arts. Here are them https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/2WdjuUN34WC7-W7VsZ7yBg
15 Jul, 2022 (edited)
2022-7-15 9:07:48 AM UTC
9 Dec, 2022
2022-12-9 10:43:42 PM UTC
Someone has managed to obtain a copy of the catalogue of Margrethe II's exhibition in cahor ? It is my understanding that it contains several of the illustration that the princess made for the Lord of the Rings.

For my part, I have tried to contact the museum to understand if it was possible to acquire a copy, but with no success.

I ask expecially to the french members of this forum, who might be able to get a copy, tell us something more about the quality and quantity of the pictures and maybe be so kind to help those interested to get one delivered :)

5035_6393b9790a12c.jpg 1080X1080 px
10 Dec, 2022
2022-12-10 1:08:12 AM UTC
I won't be able to go to Cahors, but will try to have a look at the Musée du Louvre bookshop - I'm working there - (which has all the catalogues of the temporary exhibitions in france at the moment). Will let you know.
10 Dec, 2022 (edited)
2022-12-10 9:09:16 AM UTC
I started slowly cleaning up the images from the Chinese site, which I downloaded ages ago. Prob will take me a while....

228_63944cb937ff7.jpeg 1080X1747 px
10 Dec, 2022 (edited)
2022-12-10 9:42:57 PM UTC
Definitely something of a learning exercise (which is why I'm doing it, tbh). I can definitely get something kinda passable, even out of the very curved low-res ones.

Edit: 71 out of 71 de-watermarked, made monochrome and de-warped. It was a bit of a task. Never want to remove a watermark or do a cage transform again.

228_6394fd5e35747.png 882X1073 px
11 Dec, 2022
2022-12-11 8:52:01 AM UTC
Hello everyone,

The catalogue has reproductions of all the Queen's illustrations, although some of them are really, really small.
The whole catalogue is bilingual in French and English, and I'm going to contact someone at the museum to inquire about possibilities of actually buying the book. Which, you know, would be nice.
11 Dec, 2022
2022-12-11 8:54:37 AM UTC

MarieBreta wrote:

Hello everyone,

The catalogue has reproductions of all the Queen's illustrations, although some of them are really, really small.
The whole catalogue is bilingual in French and English, and I'm going to contact someone at the museum to inquire about possibilities of actually buying the book. Which, you know, would be nice.

Look forward to hearing what success you have. I'd definitely like to buy a copy myself.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us