Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

25 Jul, 2022
2022-7-25 8:38:11 AM UTC

onthetrail wrote:

Didn't The Hobbit fall out of the top 100 books (or some such list) read by children for a time after Battle of the Five Armies was released?

Not sure. Whose list was it and how was it compiled? I suppose I could see a situation where parents didn't buy it for a while because they might have felt TH wasn't child friendly, given the movie is just a three hour marathon of pointless fighting. Feels like it would be a very temporary effect, though.
25 Jul, 2022
2022-7-25 9:29:06 AM UTC

Stu wrote:

onthetrail wrote:

Didn't The Hobbit fall out of the top 100 books (or some such list) read by children for a time after Battle of the Five Armies was released?

Not sure. Whose list was it and how was it compiled? I suppose I could see a situation where parents didn't buy it for a while because they might have felt TH wasn't child friendly, given the movie is just a three hour marathon of pointless fighting. Feels like it would be a very temporary effect, though.

I can't find the list now unfortunately but I remember reading back when the third movie came out. Maybe I am conflating a regional thing with the BBC where I seem to remember it reading it.

How you describe it is probably spot on though. If I knew nothing about Tolkien or his books and saw that movie I'd let a young child anywhere near it.
26 Jul, 2022
2022-7-26 12:49:51 AM UTC
On the topic of the impact of adaptations on Tolkien’s books, here’s something we had reported on TORn a few months back:

https://www.theonering.net/torwp/2022/ ... latest-book-sales-charts/

Personally, I found it a bit of a “win” that the Silmarillion made it on this list.

It may not mean much in the grand scheme of things, and the Amazon show may have nothing at all to do with its ranking, but regardless, seeing a Tolkien tongue-twister up there felt both amusing and satisfying. ?
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us