Gorringes Auction 11 October 2022

Lot 73 - Tolkien, John Ronald Reuel - The Lord of the Rings, 3 vols - 1st editions
Lot73.jpg

Tolkien, John Ronald Reuel - The Lord of the Rings, 3 vols - 1st editions - 14th impression of Fellowship of the Ring, 1965, front fly leaf mounted with a pasted card, with signed ink presentation inscription from the author ‘’For Thomas Edwards’’, incorporating a typescript passage from The Fellowship of the Ring - ‘’The Road goes ever on and on. Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow it if I can. Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way. Where many paths and errands meet. And wither then? I cannot say’’ - Bilbo Baggins, The Lord of the Rings; The Fellowship of the Ring. With best wishes, yours sincerely, Professor J.R.R. Tolkien; Two Towers, 11th impression, 1965, front fly leaf mounted with a pasted card, with authors ink presentation inscription, ‘’for Thomas Edwards, The Two Towers, J.R.R Tolkien’’, and The Return of the King, 10th impression, 1963, front fly leaf mounted with a pasted card, with authors ink presentation inscription, ‘’for Thomas Edwards, The Return of the King, J.R.R. Tolkien’’, each in original red cloth, with folding maps at rear, George Allen & Unwin Ltd., London

Estimate 6,000 GBP - 8,000 GBP
Sold for 8750 GBP inc. fees

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auc ... utm_content=lot-view-link

Lot 74 - Tolkien, John Ronald Reuel - The Lord of the Rings, 3 vols - 1st editions
Lot74.jpg

Tolkien, John Ronald Reuel - The Lord of the Rings, 1st editions, 1st impressions of Towers and Return, 2nd impression of Fellowship, 3 vols, 8vo, publisher’s dark red cloth, in unclipped pictorial d/j’s, all with tipped-in folding maps printed in red and black, all vols with signature mark ‘4’ on p.49 and text block sagging in The Return, staining to end papers, George Allen and Unwin, London, 1954-55
**CONDITION REPORT**No inscriptions, dust jackets in a remarkable state of preservation with minimal creasing to spine extremities, text clean, possibly unread, cloth bindings bright, with bottom front cover of Fellowship bumped.

Estimate 5,000 GBP - 8,000 GBP
Sold for 10,000 GBP inc. fees

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auc ... 4a-4da7-bd5d-af2000f27772