Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

5 Dec, 2022
2022-12-5 1:14:31 PM UTC
I only buy the standard hardbacks with dustwrapper and think they are beautiful books although yes there are some issues with quality. The covers rub easily (so I cover them instantly with a transparent and paper wrapper) and there's the odd issue with marks on the paper. Personally I am most interested in the content and whilst I want them to last, I am not assuming they will hold any value. At (on average) £15-25 per unit they are not exactly a huge investment vs the pleasure they give me.
6 Dec, 2022
2022-12-6 12:43:59 AM UTC
Was fortunate that Brian and Alan were willing to take the time. Also big thanks to Trotter for the assist!

5058_638e8fede5ca2.jpeg 4032X3024 px
14 Dec, 2022
2022-12-14 7:30:21 PM UTC
Coming to an eBay listing near you...

5058_639a2439cfa70.png 502X351 px
14 Dec, 2022 (edited)
2022-12-14 7:40:38 PM UTC

Mr. Underhill wrote:

I wonder if this is a sign they printed more copies than the market is absorbing... I wonder how these will be distributed (given rather late for a launch event)?
14 Dec, 2022
2022-12-14 7:59:33 PM UTC

Stu wrote:

Mr. Underhill wrote:

I wonder if this is a sign they printed more copies than the market is absorbing... I wonder how these will be distributed (given rather late for a launch event)?

Same here, we're checking with HarperCollins about it.
15 Dec, 2022
2022-12-15 4:07:46 AM UTC

Mr. Underhill wrote:

Stu wrote:

Mr. Underhill wrote:

Not sure why, but I find the idea of a book-plated edition more compelling than a flat-signed one. probably just because you can set a number of copies and that is that once the bookplates run out. Be interesting to see what they do here, though I think there will be no shortage of Sibley/Lee signed copies.
15 Dec, 2022
2022-12-15 9:38:57 AM UTC

Stu wrote:

Mr. Underhill wrote:

Stu wrote:

Mr. Underhill wrote:

Not sure why, but I find the idea of a book-plated edition more compelling than a flat-signed one. probably just because you can set a number of copies and that is that once the bookplates run out. Be interesting to see what they do here, though I think there will be no shortage of Sibley/Lee signed copies.

Well, if the book becomes a collectors item in the future we can remove the bookplate so that it becomes the rare unsigned edition
15 Dec, 2022
2022-12-15 10:22:36 AM UTC

Mr. Underhill wrote:

Stu wrote:

Mr. Underhill wrote:

I have heard back from HarperCollins and these bookplates are to fulfil outstanding signed Forbidden Planet orders, as Alan & Brian did not have time to sign all the copies at the Forbidden Planet event.
15 Dec, 2022
2022-12-15 10:28:14 AM UTC

Trotter wrote:

I have heard back from HarperCollins and these bookplates are to fulfil outstanding signed Forbidden Planet orders, as Alan & Brian did not have time to sign all the copies at the Forbidden Planet event.

Interesting. The Deluxe came back into stock briefly last week at Forbidden Planet and I ordered a copy. Presumably will arrive with a signed bookplate. Will have to see.
15 Dec, 2022
2022-12-15 10:35:58 AM UTC
I think this is probably just for people who pre-ordered signed copies, but let us know if you get a bookplate, fingers crossed.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us