Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

16 Jan, 2023
2023-1-16 7:46:43 AM UTC

billhinge wrote:

Trotter wrote:

Urulókë wrote:

This newest listing is a second impression, while the one that just sold is a first impression. I would expect that second impressions, generally speaking, sell for less than the first impressions (ignoring lots of other factors e.g. book condition).

They don't for this book, they are equally rare to date, and this is an unusual book in that the impression does not matter. It is condition for these books that was important in the past for price. That seems to have changed.

An example that influenced me.
This site uses affiliate links for which we may be compensated
Seller: mgg1000
(15326)
Ended Feb 1, 2023
This item ended more than 90 days ago

A few months back it was averaging £500, now 2 of the copies are £2k and one is £1.2k

the strategy here is to not advertise these listings, not publicize them, and let them fall into oblivion. Unless you guys want to intentionally raise the prices of everything of course
16 Jan, 2023
2023-1-16 7:49:49 AM UTC
no I want to buy it cheap
16 Jan, 2023
2023-1-16 8:02:00 AM UTC

billhinge wrote:

(15326)
Ended Feb 1, 2023

A few months back it was averaging £500, now 2 of the copies are £2k and one is £1.2k

I think there is, or going to be to a return to asset collecting, whether that be Rolex Daytona's, precious metal, crypto or Tolkien driving prices up with the last 30 years of low inflation being a blip

Probably not a great example as these prices are from the UK and US, they are still around £500 in Scandinavian countries.
16 Jan, 2023
2023-1-16 8:15:57 AM UTC

Trotter wrote:

billhinge wrote:

(15326)
Ended Feb 1, 2023

I think there is, or going to be to a return to asset collecting, whether that be Rolex Daytona's, precious metal, crypto or Tolkien driving prices up with the last 30 years of low inflation being a blip

Probably not a great example as these prices are from the UK and US, they are still around £500 in Scandinavian countries.

Around 900-1000 at swedish sites. 500 now would be ex-library or a rag. Even the 90's reprint go for 2-300 at bokbørsen.
16 Jan, 2023
2023-1-16 8:17:57 AM UTC

Trotter wrote:

billhinge wrote:

I don't know, I can't see any any Scandinavian copies for sale? But fair enough it was just an example, feel free to pick another example
16 Jan, 2023
2023-1-16 10:17:23 AM UTC

billhinge wrote:

Trotter wrote:

billhinge wrote:

I don't know, I can't see any any Scandinavian copies for sale? But fair enough it was just an example, feel free to pick another example

There is a 1962 first for sale now at around $900 and two 1994 reprints at $3-400. All 3 copies are in sweden and sold at a swedish site (bokbørsen).
16 Jan, 2023
2023-1-16 11:05:44 AM UTC
Thanks for the heads up, I didn't know, I may go for it once I digest this last Hobbit

Being a 60's child I like bright colours and the old fashioned artworks
16 Jan, 2023
2023-1-16 11:21:34 AM UTC

billhinge wrote:

Thanks for the heads up, I didn't know, I may go for it once I digest this last Hobbit

Being a 60's child I like bright colours and the old fashioned artworks

Its a bit of a treasure. Tove Janssons illustrations are really quite special and 'moody'. It's also the first edition of the author Britt Hallqvists translation. A point of interest is that Astrid Lindgren was the editor of this translation and it was Lindgren that got Tove Jansson involved.
16 Jan, 2023
2023-1-16 1:10:48 PM UTC

northman wrote:

billhinge wrote:

Trotter wrote:

billhinge wrote:

There is a 1962 first for sale now at around $900 and two 1994 reprints at $3-400. All 3 copies are in sweden and sold at a swedish site (bokbørsen).

northman may disagree with me on condition but I wouldn't call these rags and they don't appear to be ex libris?

Sold in December 2022, and with current exchange rates, around GBP 350 (the one that's a bit less has an owner name in ink):

https://auctionet.com/sv/2558546-j-r-r ... erad-av-tove-jansson-1962

https://auctionet.com/sv/1945074-j-r-r ... trationer-av-tove-jansson

https://auctionet.com/sv/1944963-tove- ... 962-med-illustrationer-av
16 Jan, 2023
2023-1-16 2:08:35 PM UTC

billhinge wrote:

Trotter wrote:

Urulókë wrote:

This newest listing is a second impression, while the one that just sold is a first impression. I would expect that second impressions, generally speaking, sell for less than the first impressions (ignoring lots of other factors e.g. book condition).

They don't for this book, they are equally rare to date, and this is an unusual book in that the impression does not matter. It is condition for these books that was important in the past for price. That seems to have changed.

An example that influenced me. Bilbo En Hobbits Aventyr (Tove Jansson) - removed link, sorry

Coincidentally, in this mornings Times which just arrived there is an article about rare whisky going for £100K, also mentions lego, trainers and stamps as rising collectables (several years ago when my father died stamps were in the doldrums and his rare stamps weren't as valuable as they had been). I think these things are cyclical and the tide has turned the other way to rising prices

Time and the market will tell us on these blue Longmans, but I suspect that $2600 is more than 99.999% of the collectors market is willing to pay for these.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us