-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

By Dagoth
Home away from home

Looking for: 1960 LOTR Readers Union!

10 Jan, 2023
2023-1-10 9:28:27 PM UTC

Hi there.

I’m also looking for a nice set of the 1960 Readers Union edition. Preferably one with above average spines.

Please let me know if you’re interested.

Cheers all.

5580_63bdd8791f910.jpeg 1088X1600 px
5 Feb, 2023
2023-2-5 5:56:25 AM UTC
I just wanna bump this to say: I'm still adamantly looking for a nice set :)

Willing to pay for a good set!
8 Feb, 2023
2023-2-8 9:50:42 PM UTC
Offering UP TO 650 euro (or more) for a very good plus to near fine set!
13 Feb, 2023
2023-2-13 6:50:01 PM UTC
Offer still up
14 Feb, 2023
2023-2-14 3:12:39 AM UTC
Sorry for this - but maybe no need to keep bumping this thread…

I appreciate your passion to get this item but patience is a good friend of collectors!

I also have a few items I really want to get and can only imagine what would happen to the forum if everyone kept posting and bumping their own thread for what they are looking to get.

Again - please take my comment as a constructive one - no offence meant here :)
14 Feb, 2023
2023-2-14 3:20:15 AM UTC

Demis wrote:

I appreciate your passion to get this item but patience is a good friend of collectors!

I also have a few items I really want to get and can only imagine what would happen to the forum if everyone kept posting and bumping their own thread for what they are looking to get.

I bumped this thread three times in 2 months. This set is too rare to be patient, and I don't just want an average set. I'm looking for a very good + or near-fine set, which is obscenely rare. Unfortunately, in this case I'm having to advertise on the facebook groups and so forth.

But I'll stop bumping this thread anyway, as I don't think people who frequent tolkienguide are really interested in selling.
14 Feb, 2023
2023-2-14 6:05:33 AM UTC
Nearly 3000 copies of this book were created, in terms of Tolkien material it is not that rare.

You just have to be patient and wait for a copy that meets your requirements to come onto the market.
14 Feb, 2023
2023-2-14 6:14:56 AM UTC

Trotter wrote:

Nearly 3000 copies of this book were created, in terms of Tolkien material it is not that rare.

You just have to be patient and wait for a copy that meets your requirements to come onto the market.

I want to be optimistic trust me!
14 Feb, 2023
2023-2-14 1:14:36 PM UTC

Dagoth wrote:

Demis wrote:

I bumped this thread three times in 2 months. This set is too rare to be patient, and I don't just want an average set. I'm looking for a very good + or near-fine set, which is obscenely rare. Unfortunately, in this case I'm having to advertise on the facebook groups and so forth.

But I'll stop bumping this thread anyway, as I don't think people who frequent tolkienguide are really interested in selling.

I'm sorry, but I have to agree with Demis here. The first rule of book collecting or collecting most things actually is patience. You say you have been waiting two months or so for a set to appear? There are members here who have been waiting years for the volume they want to appear. Those who are not patient may end up over paying for an item, or purchasing a from a fraudulent seller. While that may not matter to you if you over pay or not, I believe that it does impact the market for collectors who want the same item down the line. Continually commenting that your offer still stands every few days, doesn't (IMO) get one any closer to obtaining a set. Every member on this site has now seen that you are interested in this set, no one has forgotten. If they wanted or had one to sell you, they would have done it already.

I also agree with Trotter that this set is NOT rare at all. A 3000 print run in Tolkien book collecting makes for quite a common item. As the evidence bears out. I just posted a listing for a RU set w/out jackets a few weeks ago, (they were overpriced) but they didn't sell. No one even made an offer. https://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/auctions/144927968691
Very few Tolkien items are actually rare, and your characterization that they are "obscenely rare" is just wrong.
14 Feb, 2023 (edited)
2023-2-14 2:56:03 PM UTC
I didn’t say the set was obscenely rare in any form, I said a very good plus or fine set. Since I’ve only counted 4 after searching countlessly over months (one belongs to Laurin on this site), I just assume it’s not very common. And I’m sure there are many other existing fine sets in peoples collections, but that’s where they are remaining it seems.

The last record of a fine set selling on eBay on this site is from 2014 for 720 euro.

https://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/auctions/261188633254
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us