Potteries Auctions - Lot 1555

You should always exercise good judgement and perform appropriate due-diligence when acquiring signed items to ensure that you are satisfied with the provenance and integrity of any item you bid on.

Lot1555.jpg

J R R Tolkien signed copy of The Hobbit - Unwin Books Fourteenth Impression 1972 ISBN 0 04823070 7, statement from vendor states My mother - Kath Taylor - came by the book and autograph during her employment as Housekeeper to the Rev.John Tolkien who was parish priest at Our Lady of Angels and St Peter in Chains R.C Church in Hartshill, Stoke on Trent, who resided at Northcote House, Hartshill Road. The Rev John Tolkien was the son of J.R.R. Tolkien. Used condition with splitting to spine & some loose pages. Rev John Tolkien was parish priest from 1966 to 1987 and his father J.R.R. Tolkien visited him on many occasions, staying at Northcote House, which at the time was the Presbytery to the church. When Rev J Tolkien came to Our Lady's his live-in housekeeper was Miss K Restall whose name can be seen at the top of the page. My Mother came to work at the presbytery at first to assist Miss Restall but later took on the role as Housekeeper when she retired. The book was given to my mother and signed by the author on one of his visits. The book was later given to me by my mother

Estimate 250 - 500 GBP
Sold for 3,567 GBP including fees

https://potteriesauctions.atgportals.n ... 7f-4c0a-83d4-afa7006532ae