Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

26 January
2024-1-26 9:22:54 PM UTC

Mablung wrote:

Hello,

First time contributor but long time reader here

I fell by chance on the following page on Amazon.nl that seems to show a similar boxed set for the Great Tales:

https://www.amazon.nl/-/en/J-R-Tolkien/dp/0008360103/

I had never noticed this version before. Does anybody know if this is a yet-to-be announced boxed set to continue this series, or has it been there for a while ?

Hello Mablung, and welcome.

That box appeared quite some time ago and it was thought by many that it was about to be announced. It's still listed in various places but with no date. I do hope that HarperCollins have that in the pipeline as it will be welcomed by many collectors.
26 January
2024-1-26 9:39:43 PM UTC

onthetrail wrote:

Mablung wrote:

Hello,

First time contributor but long time reader here

I fell by chance on the following page on Amazon.nl that seems to show a similar boxed set for the Great Tales:

https://www.amazon.nl/-/en/J-R-Tolkien/dp/0008360103/

I had never noticed this version before. Does anybody know if this is a yet-to-be announced boxed set to continue this series, or has it been there for a while ?

Hello Mablung, and welcome.

That box appeared quite some time ago and it was thought by many that it was about to be announced. It's still listed in various places but with no date. I do hope that HarperCollins have that in the pipeline as it will be welcomed by many collectors.

This is a question we have fielded many times in various forums. At this time HarperCollins has no plans to release this boxset. Perhaps someday as many hope.
27 January
2024-1-27 12:50:44 AM UTC
Boxes three and four from HarperCollins have appeared at Amazon UK. No prices as yet.

This site uses affiliate links for which we may be compensated

The History of Middle-earth: Boxset 3 (RoS,ToI,WoR,SD) HC (UK)

Harpercollins (2024-07-04)

£100.00 HarperCollins (Other Format) - Availability: Click to check
$126.49 Blackwell's (hardback) - Availability: Unknown
$112.50 Amazon.com (Hardcover) - Availability: Preorderable
£95.00 Amazon.co.uk (Hardcover) - Availability: Preorderable
€124.51 Amazon.de (Gebundene Ausgabe) - Availability: Preorderable

Third in a series of hardcover boxed sets celebrating the literary achievement of Christopher Tolkien, featuring double-sided dustjackets. Set 3 contains The Return of the Shadow, The Treason of Isengard, The War of the Ring, and Sauron Defeated (Books 6-9 of The History of Middle-earth).

The Return of the Shadow is the story of the first part of the history of the creation of The Lord of the Rings, a fascinating study of Tolkien’s great masterpiece, from its inception to the end of the first volume, The Fellowship of the Ring.

The Treason of Isengard continues the account of the creation of The Lord of the Rings started in the earlier volume, tracing the great expansion of the tale into new lands and peoples south and east of the Misty Mountains: the emergence of Lothlorien, of Ents, of the Riders of Rohan, and of Saruman the White in the fortress of Isengard.

The War of the Ringtakes up the story with the Battle of Helm’s Deep and the drowning of Isengard by the Ents, continues with the journey of Frodo, Sam and Gollum to the Pass of Cirith Ungol, describes the war in Gondor, and ends with the parley between Gandalf and the ambassador of the Dark Lord before the Black Gate of Mordor.

Sauron Defeated completes Christopher Tolkien's fascinating study of The Lord of the Rings, beginning with Sam’s rescue of Frodo from the Tower of Cirith Ungol, and giving a very different account of the Scouring of the Shire, withmany additional scenes and the unpublished Epilogue in its entirety.

Published together for the first time, these four books collect a fascinating period of Christopher Tolkien’s forty-year career devoted to presenting his father J.R.R. Tolkien’s writings on Middle-earth, a unique accomplishment that celebrates the greatest invented world in all of fantasy literature.

The History of Middle-earth: Boxset 4 (MR,WoJ,PofMe, Index) HC (UK)

Harpercollins (2024-08-15)

£100.00 HarperCollins (Other Format) - Availability: Click to check
$Unknown Blackwell's (paperback) - Availability: Unknown
£94.10 Amazon.co.uk (Hardcover) - Availability: Preorderable
€124.77 Amazon.de (Gebundene Ausgabe) - Availability: Preorderable

Fourth in a series of hardcover boxed sets celebrating the literary achievement of Christopher Tolkien, featuring double-sided dustjackets. Set 4 contains Morgoth's Ring, The War of the Jewels, The Peoples of Middle-earth and The History of Middle-earth Index.

Morgoth's Ring is the first of two companion volumes documenting the later writing of The Silmarillion. The text of the Annals of Aman, the ‘Blessed Land’ in the far West, is given in full; while further writings reveal the nature of the problems that Tolkien explored in his later years, as new and radical ideas, portending upheaval in the old narratives, emerged at the heart of the mythology.

The War of the Jewels continues the account of the later history of The Silmarillion, as the story returns to Middle-earth, and the ruinous conflict of the High Elves and the Men who were their allies with the power of the Dark Lord.

The Peoples of Middle-earth is this capstone to Tolkien's history of Middle-earth, presenting a chronology of the later Ages, the Hobbit genealogies, and the Western language or Common Speech. Here too are valuable writings from Tolkien's last years: "The New Shadow," in Gondor of the Fourth Age, and" Tal-elmar," the tale of the coming of the Númenórean ships.

The History of Middle-earth Index This companion edition to the twelve-volume History now brings together all of the indexes in one place, and provides the reader with an invaluable sourcebook to all the peoples, places and other significant entries from The Silmarillion and The Lord of the Rings which appear in The History of Middle-earth.

Published together for the first time, these four books collect a fascinating period of Christopher Tolkien’s forty-year career devoted to presenting his father J.R.R. Tolkien’s writings on Middle-earth, a unique accomplishment that celebrates the greatest invented world in all of fantasy literature.
27 January
2024-1-27 1:02:01 AM UTC

onthetrail wrote:

A box set I’d love that will probably never get made based on lack of demand is Tolkien’s translations. Perhaps a 3 book set of Beowulf, Maldon, and Gawain/Pearl/Orfeo.
27 January
2024-1-27 2:00:20 AM UTC

Tuor son of Huor wrote:

onthetrail wrote:

A box set I’d love that will probably never get made based on lack of demand is Tolkien’s translations. Perhaps a 3 book set of Beowulf, Maldon, and Gawain/Pearl/Orfeo.

I would love to see more made of his academic work, but as you rightly pointed out, demand would not be there unfortunately.

I'd also like to see someone tackle a broad biography that excludes Middle-earth to focus on his professional work in more detail. We know a lot more now through his letters than ever before and I would find it very interesting.
27 January
2024-1-27 4:18:00 PM UTC
Looks like the William Morrow Boxset #2 has been pushed to May 7th for release.

The History of Middle-earth: Boxset 2 (LoB,SoMe,LR&OW) WM (US)

William Morrow (2024-05-14)

$99.92 Blackwell's (hardback) - Availability: Unknown
$90.00 Amazon.com (Hardcover) - Availability: Preorderable
€78.00 Amazon.de (Gebundene Ausgabe) - Availability: Preorderable
28 January
2024-1-28 1:03:32 AM UTC

onthetrail wrote:

Weren't the four HotLotR volumes published as a box set over two decades ago?
28 January (edited)
2024-1-28 1:13:25 AM UTC

ibid wrote:

onthetrail wrote:

Weren't the four HotLotR volumes published as a box set over two decades ago?

It is a little flimsy but strictly speaking, these four volumes are being published together for the first time. The previous boxset did not include Sauron Defeated, it included the shorter End of the Third Age.

For those interested, the Tengwar on the title page was not updated when the shorter volume was devised, it carried over from Sauron Defeated, therefore only the first sentence relates to the book.
28 January
2024-1-28 2:52:58 AM UTC
Yes onthetrail is right. HarperCollins and HoughtonMifflin both published the History of the Lord of the Rings. Both in paperback and both without Sauron Defeated.

https://tolkienbooks.net/php/details2.php?id=1237

https://www.tolkienbooks.us/me/hmepb/t ... he-lord-of-the-rings-2000
28 January
2024-1-28 11:21:53 AM UTC
Boxed Set #3 is available for pre-order from HarperCollins on the 8th March 2024. Hopefully a 50% off sale will happen when these can be ordered.

https://www.awin1.com/cread.php?awinmi ... Fvariant%3D40575844909134
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us