Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

Identifying 1st U.S. FOTR Impression

7 February
2024-2-7 4:10:40 AM UTC

Hi,

I recently bought some first American editions of The Lord of The Rings, The Two Towers and The Fellowship of the Ring, and I am trying to identify their impressions. I managed to positively identify the TT as a 4th impression but I am having trouble with the FR. This is what I've got so far for FR. Please correct me if anything is wrong.

1) There is no year or impression on the copyright page so it must be a 3rd-9th impression.

2) The phrase "Printed In Great Britain", which is the only information on the copyright page, is printed in small, non-italicized capitals, so it must have been printed by Purnell. Thus it is a 4th, 6th, 7th, or 9th impression.

3) The title page mentions only Houghton Mifflin and not Allen & Unwin. Printed at the bottom of the page is "Houghton Mifflin Company Boston" with smaller text beneath it stating "The Riverside Press Cambridge". This means it is not a 9th impression.

3.1) Also, p. 414 line 28 has "hour" misspelled as "honr". This confirms again that it is not a 9th impression.

This next point I am unsure about.

4) On page 'II' of the Prologue, the words "developed" (line 28) and "seldom" (line 36) are misprinted. These particular errors suggest that it is an 8th printing.

Also, I have read that page 269 may have answers for me, but I do not know what to look for specifically. I have included an image here just in case you guys find it useful.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Best,

TJ

5805_65c302b43a192.jpg 4032X3024 px
7 February
2024-2-7 4:17:20 AM UTC
P.S.

Neither FR nor TT have dust jackets.

They were found in the same thrift ship and both owned by the same person named Westrum. The name is written in somewhat juvenile hand on the very first page of both books. The Return of the King was not present.

If anyone is interested in purchasing it please let me know.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us