Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

27 February
2024-2-27 10:44:40 AM UTC
Is it authorized? IIRC AST said they cannot sign new contracts with most publishers since the war. NoMe was published a few month before it, though.
27 February
2024-2-27 12:33:23 PM UTC
The edition of The Nature of Middle-earth is authorised by HarperCollins Publishers Ltd. and Andrew Nurnberg Literary Agency. AST desided to sign the contract in 2021, so I would assume that it was signed before the end of February 2022.

Offtopic: the number of Tolkien related translations published in Russia in 2022–2024 is extraordinary.

Excluding books related to the movies, confer:
J. R. R. Tolkien. A Biography by Humphrey Carpenter (2002), Tolkien: A Biography by Michael White (2002), The Road to Middle-earth by Tom Shippey (2003), Tolkien Through Russian Eyes by Mark Hooker (2003), Greg and Tim Hildebrandt: The Tolkien Years by Greg Hildebrandt Jr. (2003), Tolkien. Les univers d'un magicien by Nicolas Bonnal (2003), A Secret Fire: The Spiritual Vision Behind Tolkien by Stratford Caldecott (2008), Le monde magicue de Tolkien by Edouard Kloczko and Krystal Camprubí (2011), Exploring J.R.R. Tolkien's “The Hobbit” by Corey Olsen (2013), 3-Minute J.R.R. Tolkien: An Unauthorized Biography of the World's Most Revered Fantasy Writer by Gary Raymond (2015), The Worlds of J.R.R. Tolkien by John Garth (2020), five books by David Day (2003, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2020).
That’s all, 16 titles until February 2022 (since, say 1991, the year of the publishing of The Return of the King). (The original titles but the years of the translated publications are used.)

Tolkien and the Great War by John Garth (May 2022), J. R. R. Tolkien: Author of the Century by Tom Shippey (2023), There's a Hole in my Bucket: A Journey of Two Brothers by Royd Tolkien (2023), Tolkien et les sciences by Roland Lehoucq, Loic Mangin, Jean-Sebastien Steyer (2024), Twenty-First-Century Tolkien by Nick Groom (2024).
5 titles after February 2022.
27 February
2024-2-27 12:54:14 PM UTC

onthetrail wrote:

Aelfwine wrote:

"Carl Hostetter, The Successor of Christopher Tolkien" —

Oh dear. I hope the source Russian for this doesn't sound so ... momentous? It's true only in the sense that I was given the opportunity to edit a substantial volume of Tolkien's writings about Middle-earth after Christopher had completed his own work on same. But that's it. No torch was passed; no "succession" occurred.

That's a shame 😅 I was waiting with excitement for the announcement of your multi-volume series, The History of The History of Middle-earth.

And when we finish that i expect 'the History of the correspondence of J.R.R. Tolkien' will be well in the works.
27 February
2024-2-27 1:23:31 PM UTC

northman wrote:

onthetrail wrote:

Aelfwine wrote:

"Carl Hostetter, The Successor of Christopher Tolkien" —

Oh dear. I hope the source Russian for this doesn't sound so ... momentous? It's true only in the sense that I was given the opportunity to edit a substantial volume of Tolkien's writings about Middle-earth after Christopher had completed his own work on same. But that's it. No torch was passed; no "succession" occurred.

That's a shame 😅 I was waiting with excitement for the announcement of your multi-volume series, The History of The History of Middle-earth.

And when we finish that i expect 'the History of the correspondence of J.R.R. Tolkien' will be well in the works.

Edited by Trotter, onthetrail, Mr. Underhill and uruloke by arrangement with HarperCollins and the Tolkien Estate? 😅
27 February
2024-2-27 1:52:13 PM UTC
Thanks Const, glad they made it in time!

Following the off topic: those Russian books can be found at https://book24.ru/search/?q=%D1%82%D0% ... 8%D0%BD&by=desc&sort=date
27 February
2024-2-27 2:31:16 PM UTC
Thank you Const, that's a relief. And thanks too for the kind words!
28 February
2024-2-28 6:58:18 PM UTC
I really should have replied before now. Thank you so much Aelfwine for your impressive solid achievement.A fabulous deep dive into the world of Middle-earth. You have stepped into editor Christophers shoes admirably. No mean feat. This is easily the most significant Tolkien book,by or about,published since 1996 The Peoples Of Middle-earth. I have just finished my 3rd reading and it is most fascinating and an essential part of J R R Tolkien's fictional writings. Christopher would approve very much Carl and he knew it was in safe hands. From the bottom of my heart,BRAVO.
29 February
2024-2-29 2:01:42 AM UTC
I don't know what to say, Olorin, except to thank you for your exceedingly kind words!
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us