Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

Doyle's Auction 1st May 2024

16 April
2024-4-16 4:48:45 AM UTC

A calligraphic autograph quotation signed by Tolkien

TOLKIEN, J.R.R.

Calligraphic autograph quotation signed and in Tolkien's hand: "In all my works I take the part of the trees as against all their enemies." Black ink on white Basildon Bond writing paper, 3 3/4 x 7 inches (9.5 x 17.5 cm), verso blank. Tipped to card mount, framed.

This quotation, slightly Entish in its theme, was part of Tolkien's letter 339, written to the Editor of The Daily Telegraph on 30th June, 1972. It was prepared in response to a leader article in that newspaper, in which it was stated that the works of the Forestry Commission had resulted in: "Sheepwalks where you could once ramble for miles are transformed into a kind of Tolkien gloom, where no bird sings..." Not unnaturally, Tolkien reacted mildly negatively to this sentiment, writing that "it is unfair to use my name as an adjective qualifying 'gloom.'" In this witty and thoughtful letter, he ended the first paragraph with the quotation above, and went on to defend the Commission (to a degree), writing that "It would be unfair to compare the Forestry Commission with Sauron because, as you observe, it is capable of repentance..." Previously with Harmer-Rooke. See https://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Letter_339

Estimate USD 10,000 - 15,000

You should always exercise good judgement and perform appropriate due-diligence when acquiring signed items to ensure that you are satisfied with the provenance and integrity of any item you bid on.

https://doyle.com/auction/lot/lot-a-ca ... False&sd=0&pp=96&pn=1&g=1
16 April
2024-4-16 5:43:21 PM UTC
The link provided to the auction leads to a page that says the lot doesn’t exist or has been removed.

Not sure if you have to register to see it.
16 April
2024-4-16 5:46:55 PM UTC
Looks like they have removed the item.
16 April
2024-4-16 7:46:45 PM UTC
For those who saw the writing and signature before it was taken down, any thoughts as to whether this was authentic? On one hand it looked (from my completely novice view) like it was in Tolkien's handwriting and his signature. On the other hand, kind of odd that he would write a quote of his own (in quotation marks no less) on a card and then sign it.

I ask because I was hoping to print a screenshot of it just for personal edification, but if it is a forgery or AI creation then I have no interest in that.
17 April
2024-4-17 12:02:40 AM UTC
I'm no expert (esp. in his handwriting), but the quote was from a letter to a newspaper, which I would have presumed was typed and mailed it. Separating out a single line from that letter, writing it out as a standalone quote, seems to me quite a peculiar behaviour, and more closely aligned with today's soundbite culture.
17 April
2024-4-17 2:04:57 PM UTC
Do you think the auction was of this autograph mentioned in The Lyle Official Books Review 1981?

(Edit: Changed the wording)

5458_661fd7096a9e3.jpg 4032X2268 px
17 April
2024-4-17 2:40:40 PM UTC
Yup, that was the one!

Nox wrote:

Do you think the auction was of this autograph mentioned in The Lyle Official Books Review 1981?
17 April
2024-4-17 2:59:18 PM UTC

Nox wrote:

Yes it appears to be that exact one, but without the stray ink mark on the right side. I wonder if that was removed somehow, or if it was a mark that appeared from photocopying for inclusion in the Lyle Official Books Review.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us