AL fake too?

13 Jan, 2010
2010-1-13 10:31:20 AM UTC

(I'm possibly imagining this! )
To be honest with you, I think even this is a fake:

Signed JRR Tolkien's the Children of the Hurin

What does everyone think?
First image: Suspicious Lee signature
Remaining images: Better AL examples (perhaps)

I have quite a few Alan Lee signed CoH's, and this one just doesn't seem right. Too heavy, and deliberate. Out of interest, anyone have a note of where Lee was the week of launch?

He was at the launch in London on Tuesday 17th April. He was at the ADCbooks preview party on the evening of the 20th, and the next day on the 21st (the only private signing he attended.) I think he was in Oxford Friday daytime. And I remember he was at a Forbidden Planet at some point during the week too. Incidentally, Lee doesn't seem to have been too consistent with his abbreviated month, using either '04' or simply '4'.

With all these suspicious signatures, I'm beggining to wonder (as someone has already pointed out) whether it is entirely wise to discuss in such detail what's 'suspicous' about these signatures on this site. Hmmm...

BH

125_4b4d9fa89865f.jpg 500X375 px

125_4b4d9fcaa5ac2.jpg 375X500 px

125_4b4d9fd8dffef.jpg 500X375 px

125_4b4da004cf974.jpg 800X600 px
13 Jan, 2010
2010-1-13 12:41:50 PM UTC

Khamul wrote:

With all these suspicious signatures, I'm beginning to wonder (as someone has already pointed out) whether it is entirely wise to discuss in such detail what's 'suspicious' about these signatures on this site. Hmmm...

BH

I am going to ask Jeremy if it is possible to set up a private forum for discussing signatures and for him to approve members access to this forum, as I also think it is unwise to discuss this on the public facing side of the forum.

I don't think Alan is well known enough at the moment to have his signature faked and he did sign a lot of books at the COH launch, possibly was tired when he signed this one.
13 Jan, 2010
2010-1-13 1:06:25 PM UTC
I agree with you Trotter in regard to the private forum. I'm pretty sure I mentioned this to Jeremy before (or intended to). It's also a good way of banding about site management issues e.g. if Jeremy wants help with maintaining the site, or ideas for improvement (not strictly private matters, but you don't need to clog the public site with them.)

In regard to AL, I agree he must have been weary with signing. But, AL's signature always looks very light. And, he more often that not used a fine black pen. This looks like a blue biro.

Jeremy?

BH
13 Jan, 2010
2010-1-13 1:11:21 PM UTC
Also Trotter, I think you're right about him not being well (enough) known. (And, his signature genuinely doesn't add significant value to an item.) But others (fakers) may think otherwise. People will have heard of his name associated with the Jackson films, and may believe it worth faking to add value/appeal.

BH
13 Jan, 2010
2010-1-13 3:21:05 PM UTC
A private forum is a great idea but at the same time people such as myself who are no experts but merely keen Tolkien fans use this site and wisdom cascaded to make 'right' purchases.

How would it be decided who would be eligible to join such a forum?

Ps Agree pict 1 looks interesting, the remainder look ok
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us