Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

21 Mar, 2011
2011-3-21 1:54:02 PM UTC
I love the description of possibly an Australian Copy

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/J-R-R-Tolkien-L ... tible&hash=item588d2af84e

RARE Flatsigned Produced Fine Binding Edition You Can ONLY GET THIS VESION(sic) Threw(sic) Us Here At Flagsigned(sic) This Hardcover leather fine binding is flawless with no mistakes or typos. J R.R. Tolkien's complete Lord Of The Rings series in one nice medium sized book.

is flawless with no mistakes or typos
21 Mar, 2011
2011-3-21 2:13:03 PM UTC
Treatment like this of books always makes me sad, why would anyone do this

This site uses affiliate links for which we may be compensated
Seller: hangfirebooks
(3210)
Ended Mar 27, 2011
This item ended more than 90 days ago

23 Mar, 2011
2011-3-23 7:28:08 PM UTC
I have no idea what is going on with this auction, anyone has any ideas???

Seller: kittiwake13
(13463)
Ended Apr 2, 2011

18 Apr, 2011
2011-4-18 6:45:35 PM UTC
This is not the original slipcase, looks like David Miller's slipcase instead, but why not state that in the description

(Very good slipcase but seller should state not the original)

Starting Price £1,250.00

1st Edition. 8vo - over 7¾" - 9¾" tall. The Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien. The true 1st Edition, Allen and Unwin 1963 Deluxe Edition of the 3 volumes of the Lord of the Rings, comprised of "The Fellowship of the Ring", "The Two Towers", and "The Return of the King". The books are housed in a slipcase featuring the Pauline Baynes color "triptych" artwork. This cloth bound slipcase is particularly sturdy and in excellent condition. This set is bound in the original Black Buckram cloth with gilt titles, author and publisher to the spines of each volume. Each volume features Bevel-Edged boards, gilded page edges, and original silk bookmark sewn in. The scarcest of all the original Allen & Unwin 1st Editions, as well as the Houghton Mifflin issues. According to publishers records, 1000 or less published, some rumours say only 300 sets produced. Briefly mentioned in the Tolkien bibliography by Hammond and Anderson. These sets very rarely come up for sale. minor marks to book covers and pages edges. Previous owners name top FEP of the Two Towers and Return of the King and on page with the Lord of the Rings poem in the FOTR. There is also some ink inscriptions in the FOTR and ROTK volumes on the FEP/inside book cover/BEP. Maps present in FOTR and TT, not in ROTK. Interestingly the previous owner to whom the inscriptions are written by is the costume designer for the famous Benny Hill t.v shows and his name was Christos panoupolus, whom passed away only last month.

Seller: 1973lee1973
(2280)
Ended Apr 24, 2011

18 Apr, 2011
2011-4-18 7:03:05 PM UTC
mmmmmmmmm
this is the set just sold for £550. Odd no photo of all the writing and names in two of the volumes- would that put people off maybe ? I suspect so. Insteed use careful wording and keep fingers crossed approach. A fast buck is expression in mind!
18 Apr, 2011
2011-4-18 7:51:50 PM UTC
Looks like it's back up again, only for £1,250.00 You should have bought it earlier!!!

I would say that is indeed one of my slipcases. Don't understand why they don't mention it's a reproduction, like my description always says. They managed to copy the rest of my description, so why not that part?

dunedain
20 Apr, 2011
2011-4-20 4:48:48 PM UTC
Well, I was initially going to post this under "Lucky Finds," but now that I have received the books, I think it is appropriate to post here. I caught a buy it now ebay listing for a very nice 1963 A&U set of LotR with original jackets for 50GBP! Great deal, right? Well, yes, and no. I will maintain that it was a great deal because the books themselved are really near fine condition.... and, the jackets are perfectly in tact. The ebay listing stated that they were in protective plastic film, so I assumed they would be in good shape. Turns out, they were indeed in protective plastic film, because they are laminated! LAMINATED DUST JACKETS!!! The lamination has caused the inks to bleed, creating a sort of 'ghosting' appearance around all the print. LAMINATED DUST JACKETS!!! UGGHHH!! What a way to ruin a nice set. It may have originally been well intended, but..... UGGHHH!!

21 Apr, 2011
2011-4-21 6:03:43 AM UTC
LOL
Now that would have been a good deal. Are you sending back?
This is the problem with ebay - you are relying on sellers description and sometimes forget to ask the obvious. I have just brought two items - both were sent but itturned out someone elses photo was used ! Pleasingly seller refunded in full on one immediately and waiting ebay judgement on other one today.
Keep looking for those bargains
21 Apr, 2011
2011-4-21 1:01:43 PM UTC

laurel wrote:
LOL
Now that would have been a good deal. Are you sending back?

No, Laurel, I am not sending them back. They came from the UK and I am in the US. The way the postal system has been operating due to US Homeland Security over the last six months or so, everything I have purchased from the UK has taken a minimum of 30 days to arrive (even airmail packages). As I said, the books themselves are in fantastic condition, and I think well worth the money.

Great rewards of bargain hunting always come with inherent risks. All part of the fun!

P.S. Anyone looking for a nice set of laminated dust jackets?
21 Apr, 2011
2011-4-21 8:56:10 PM UTC
Hey Elwe,

I have a set of "lightly tanned" dustjackets that just came in from Chernobyl or another slightly 'Hot' spot. You can almost distinquish the black print from the "light tanning". Let me know, an even swap might work out. You know you could also go buy a can of black and a can of gold spray paint and turn them into "DeLuxe" Editions. Slap them in reproduction slipcase, and no one would ever know......

LOL!!

dunedain
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us