Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

26 Dec, 2011
2011-12-26 4:32:04 PM UTC
My signed copy turned up at the bookshop on Saturday. I popped in today and traded my standard copy plus the difference, and I have it here now. It's very nice,

So all's well as ends better!

26 Dec, 2011
2011-12-26 9:52:41 PM UTC
Earlier, you seemed upset () --so it's good to see you're happy!
I may get the Deluxe edition too...

BH
26 Dec, 2011
2011-12-26 10:00:37 PM UTC
I did buy one myself last week... did not check yet what number I received! But then I got one with a number "PC" written in it.

Still wondering if this is Proof Copy or Pieter Collier... this was a quality control copy (or so the paper stuck inside it said it was). I had sort of hoped the deluxe edition would feature some more "large" paintings, but except for the signed page it looks the same.

As for the slipcase... I like the result. Much closer to the original with this matte paper. Sort of wished all images would have been reproduced on matte paper, since now they look a darker then the originals. Anyway guess it is difficult to reproduce these paintings... hope one day to be able to make a small exhibition for all of you. Since in real these paintings do look brilliant!
26 Dec, 2011
2011-12-26 10:18:21 PM UTC
Or Production Copy.
26 Dec, 2011
2011-12-26 10:19:15 PM UTC
ok... that might be it!
27 Dec, 2011
2011-12-27 9:43:18 AM UTC
"Since in real these paintings do look brilliant!"

They do - I saw some a few years ago, when their owner(s) kindly allowed them to be displayed during an Art Show at Oxonmoot. I remember the Ents painting, with one ent whose head looks like a conker.

I'd been intrigued by Blok's work for some years, and it was terrific to see them 'in the flesh' as it were - (same goes for other painters' work; Ted Nasmith e.g.). Close up, one can see the various layering which goes in to the construction of the painting; it's a fascinating technique.

To my uncultured mind, it's a bit like the Tolkien bookbindings of Philip Smith, some of which were displayed during the 1992 Conference. At first I wasn't sure what to make of them aesthetically (meaning: I didn't like 'em much). but since then I've read up a bit on Smith's book-bindings and his techniques - (I have a signed copy of a booklet by him - I'm an autograph hound) - and I've seen other examples of his works in a sales catalogue, and I've warmed to them; the amount of work and thought which goes into the paintings of Blok, and Smith's book-bindings, is impressive. As are the results.

I would like to see some more of both men's works.
27 Dec, 2011
2011-12-27 10:12:17 AM UTC
funny... next to Cor Blok I'm a huge fan of Philip Smith! Have been writing back and forth with him (lately with his wife, since Smith can't do the letter writing any long) and it is indeed an amazing person, who made incredible nice pieces of art. Nice to hear you have come to like it!
27 Dec, 2011
2011-12-27 3:51:45 PM UTC
Indeed, Smith's LR stuff is pretty interesting. I remember buying a Philip Smith lot from a guy, including: THE LORD OF THE RINGS AND OTHER BOOKBINDINGS OF PHILIP SMITH (Signed; with signed errata notes and 8 annotated postcards), MODERN BRITISH BOOKBINDING (Signed), and THE PRIVATE LIBRARY (Signed and annotated) including ‘Understanding the Physical Book-Arts’ by Philip Smith. They are all very interesting. Maybe I'm an autograph hound too garm?

(Pieter, don't suppose you managed to see Blok?)

BH
27 Dec, 2011
2011-12-27 4:55:09 PM UTC
Let's see - I have a signed copy of THE LORD OF THE RINGS AND OTHER BOOKBINDINGS OF PHILIP SMITH (no annotaions; only one postcard tipped in at the rear), and THE PRIVATE LIBRARY including ‘Understanding the Physical Book-Arts’ by Philip Smith. Mine isn't signed.

I also have a copy of the Sotheby's catalogue for their sale of 10th July 2003, in London. Pages 238-251 consist of what is virtually a full-blown article on Philip Smith's book-bindings, with pp.238-247 dedicated to Smith's 'book-wall' of LotR. There are many first-class photos of the bindings; wonderful. IIRC, the book-wall sold for around £50,000.
2 Jan, 2012
2012-1-2 1:08:03 PM UTC
Interview with Cor Blok I found on TolkienLibrary.com.

Cor Blok interview on youtube

Article on TolkienLibrary.com
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us