Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

18 May, 2010
2010-5-18 5:14:10 PM UTC
It would be interesting to see a picture of the Index page with the typo, if someone could post one.

Very remiss not to provide any pictures, here are one of the dust jacket, one showing my unusual binding and one showing the typos. There are two typos, HarperCollins and the date (2010) appear in a very strange font, and they also forgot to include the full ISBN, just left the end blank.

10_4bf2cafd04dfd.jpg 768X1010 px

10_4bf2cb0738424.jpg 1024X755 px

10_4bf2cb1155acc.jpg 1024X713 px
18 May, 2010
2010-5-18 5:24:12 PM UTC
I have decided I am going to keep mine. If only 30 dispatched and maybe a few returned they may be worth something more than £40 paid in 20 or so years! Can live in hope
18 May, 2010
2010-5-18 11:34:50 PM UTC
There are two typos, HarperCollins and the date (2010) appear in a very strange font, and they also forgot to include the full ISBN, just left the end blank.

It also omits the credit line 'Compiled by Helen Armstrong' which appears above the ISBN in the original printing. (Unless this has been moved elsewhere in the print-on-demand copies.)

Wayne and Christina
19 May, 2010
2010-5-19 5:17:28 AM UTC
It also omits the credit line 'Compiled by Helen Armstrong' which appears above the ISBN in the original printing. (Unless this has been moved elsewhere in the print-on-demand copies.) Wayne and Christina

It has been moved to the Title Page.
21 May, 2010
2010-5-21 11:36:18 AM UTC
I got my replacement version of the Index from HarperCollins, the typos have been fixed and this copy was bound correctly. I think it is a really nice book now and goes very well with the other 12 hardback volumes.
5 Jun, 2010
2010-6-5 6:55:19 AM UTC
Stu I'd be interested to hear a review from someone who has purchased a volume containing colour plates.

I bought a copy of the POD version of Sauron Defeated and am able to compare it with the first edition.

The dust jacket is a different colour to the original (the original cover is a burgundy, the new cover is brown and is lighter in colour than the cover of BOLT2). This is probably due to the new printing process.

The barcode on the rear of the cover is about twice as big on this copy. I don't understand why these books have barcodes on them as they are printed to order, and I can't see any purpose that they serve

The colour plates in the book are darker in the new book, but the quality of the reproduction is just as good as the original book.

The copyright information shows

This edition published by HarperCollinsPublishers 2010

I can't imagine that the number line would ever change with these books.

The most obvious difference between the books are that the binding of the book is now black (the original binding is the same colour as the dust jacket). This is the same as the POD Index and I am assuming that all the POD History of Middle-Earth books have black bindings.

Overall though I am very impressed with these books.
9 Jul, 2010
2010-7-9 6:49:32 AM UTC
This will be an expensive set of books and I'd like to know before purchasing if they plan to bring out a box-set as I'd rather buy that than the individual books. Trotter

What kind of horrific boxset would it be, with 12 volumes? *chuckle* Khamul

Something like this from David Miller and no way is it horrific.

http://www.tolkienbookshelf.com/?page ... 6653512ecb0e4404f50efc49b

10_4c36c664d6c14.jpg 2206X1051 px
9 Jul, 2010
2010-7-9 1:19:29 PM UTC
I was going to come back with 'yeh, but the price is still horrific' --but it actually isn't that bad. The slipcases are quite good too; they'll serve their function at least.

Does anyone remember, (I'll go back and find the original post), that a slipcased deluxe set of HoME came up on eBay in 2007?! Has anyone any recollection of this, or any pictures saved?

I emailed David Brawn, and he had the follwing to add:-

We had planned a slipcased set, but unfortunately a production problem resulted in the heights of the three volumes being marginally different, which meant the slipcases didn't really look good enough. A few prototype empty slipcases were produced, and I think that as we had them we sent a couple out to people who wrote in at the time specifically asking for one, but as far as I can remember we never did a production run. We ended up producing a much more successful trilogy of combined volumes without the anguish of Bible paper, leather binding, and all the production headaches those things entailed! We did release that set in a slipcase for a while.

-David Brawn (Private email 9th July 2010)

Interesting...

BH
9 Jul, 2010
2010-7-9 11:25:02 PM UTC
Ok, will the collectors who asked for the HarperCollins boxed sets please step forward and identify themselves! And perhaps some images would be very very nice. Thanks!
10 Jul, 2010
2010-7-10 9:45:07 AM UTC
I can't agree with David Brawn's comments that "a production problem resulted in the heights of the three volumes being marginally different". The books vary considerably in width and height between the three editions.

It would have been very difficult to make a slipcase that housed the three books, you would have needed some sort of padding to stop the books falling out.

I love to see some examples of these.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us