Tolkien Collector's Guide
12
Mar 12, 2019
2019/3/12 19:13:33 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Sticking with my earlier comment, I don't think that Doug was able to find enough new material to justify a third edition printing.
Mar 13, 2019
2019/3/13 11:17:20 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Trotter wrote:
Sticking with my earlier comment, I don't think that Doug was able to find enough new material to justify a third edition printing.

Surely Doug investigated first whether he could justify an updated version?
Mar 13, 2019
2019/3/13 14:44:42 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

onthetrail wrote:
Surely Doug investigated first whether he could justify an updated version?

The only person who could answer that question is Doug, and as far as I am aware, he does not frequent this site, so we will probably never know.
Mar 13, 2019 (edited)
2019/3/13 19:13:53 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
If there wasn't the material to justify a new edition, this feels like a win (not just putting out something with minimal changes for the sake of it). I wish some other authors would take note (David Day, I'm looking at you)....
Mar 13, 2019
2019/3/13 21:23:44 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
"Surely Doug investigated first whether he could justify an updated version?" — I second this. If Doug proposed a third edition, and the proposal was accepted by the publisher, it was only because both felt there was sufficient new material and/or insights to justify it. Either Doug has had to deal with other more pressing matters, or the work is taking longer than initially anticipated. Both happen.
Mar 13, 2019
2019/3/13 22:16:20 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Aelfwine wrote:
"Surely Doug investigated first whether he could justify an updated version?" — I second this. If Doug proposed a third edition, and the proposal was accepted by the publisher, it was only because both felt there was sufficient new material and/or insights to justify it. Either Doug has had to deal with other more pressing matters, or the work is taking longer than initially anticipated. Both happen.

I fully agree with the above.
Mar 14, 2019
2019/3/14 3:38:40 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Urulókë wrote:

Aelfwine wrote:
"Surely Doug investigated first whether he could justify an updated version?" — I second this. If Doug proposed a third edition, and the proposal was accepted by the publisher, it was only because both felt there was sufficient new material and/or insights to justify it. Either Doug has had to deal with other more pressing matters, or the work is taking longer than initially anticipated. Both happen.

I fully agree with the above.

Seems like wait and see is the best approach. Something will either happen at some point or it won't.
Mar 14, 2019
2019/3/14 4:08:46 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
I have it from a trusted source that the book is still forthcoming, and to be patient.

With the "2nd edition" description being used on Amazon's listing, and the date moving around, I expect they are just picking up placeholder information from the publisher. I would expect a more official announcement when the book gets closer to actual release date (whatever that is, I don't know it).
Mar 22, 2019
2019/3/22 16:09:00 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
I've been awaiting this release for months. I haven't yet read the Annotated Hobbit and think that this new edition is a great chance to get a copy. I'm thankful I found this thread; good to hear everyone's insight! I'll continue to wait patiently :)
Mar 28, 2019
2019/3/28 6:05:41 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Been looking forward to this for months; would be very satisfied just hearing an actual projected release date that isn't off in 2050 or some such like Amazon says. Hopefully we'll have a better idea of the actual release date soon. I wonder how long it will likely take?
12
Jump to Last