Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

7 May, 2020
2020-5-7 5:33:38 PM UTC

Urulókë wrote:
The copyright page indicates that the "Editor's Note" is new material to the 2020 edition, along with the illustrations from Bill Sanderson and the decorative border illustration from Liane Payne.

Ah that makes sense!

Then again, in my first-ever copy of The Hobbit, the only place where David Wyatt is credited for his chapter art is on the copyright page.
7 May, 2020
2020-5-7 5:42:19 PM UTC
Thanks for that pic Trotter!
8 May, 2020
2020-5-8 5:52:16 PM UTC

Stu wrote:
Yeah, I don 't really have any expectation of additional content beyond the standard edition. My point is whether the only marginally better materials (plus slipcase) justify 3 - 4 times the price of the standard edition. The simple fact is that they are VERY expensive for what they are. And once the printing shifts to China that shifts from VERY to ABSURDLY (sorry if that upsets any CCP shills ).

Note for Stu and in general - please limit commentary to books and related topics. The issue in the quote above is calling someone a "shill" for the Chinese government, if they disagree with you about the cost of printing a book in China. Unnecessary and inflamatory (and a straw man anyways - no one is arguing that it is the same cost to print in China as elsewhere).
8 May, 2020
2020-5-8 6:15:10 PM UTC
Here's a great example of how a special release can be better:

Take a look at Folio Society's editions of A Game of Thrones and A Clash of Kings.

(they plan to do the entire series (providing Martin finishes it...) though I'm unsure if they will also tackle A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms and Fire & Blood)
8 May, 2020
2020-5-8 6:17:57 PM UTC

Urulókë wrote:

Stu wrote:
Yeah, I don 't really have any expectation of additional content beyond the standard edition. My point is whether the only marginally better materials (plus slipcase) justify 3 - 4 times the price of the standard edition. The simple fact is that they are VERY expensive for what they are. And once the printing shifts to China that shifts from VERY to ABSURDLY (sorry if that upsets any CCP shills ).

Note for Stu and in general - please limit commentary to books and related topics. The issue in the quote above is calling someone a "shill" for the Chinese government, if they disagree with you about the cost of printing a book in China. Unnecessary and inflamatory (and a straw man anyways - no one is arguing that it is the same cost to print in China as elsewhere).

if they're upset, instead of moaning, they can switch to Houghton Mifflin editions.
8 May, 2020
2020-5-8 6:42:40 PM UTC
Again, offering up Houghton Mifflin editions - fine. Calling someone a "moaner" - name calling and attacking a fellow forum member - not fine.

Stick to books and related topics. Stop name calling other forum members for holding opposing opinions. Disagree with the opinion, don't attack the opinion holder for having an opinion.
8 May, 2020
2020-5-8 8:36:16 PM UTC
Sounds good, and acknowledged. My comment was not targeted towards any particular member here. Apologies if it was too far.
8 May, 2020
2020-5-8 8:57:05 PM UTC
Speaking generally Houghton Mifflin Harcourt releases tend to be lesser in quality compared to HarperCollins... hardback first prints typically being bound in paper rather than cloth. Not always, but often. First trade prints of B&L were cloth while Hurin and Gondolin were paper for example.
8 May, 2020
2020-5-8 9:00:48 PM UTC
There is that, and the fact that not everything HarperCollins publishes, Houghton Mifflin ALSO publishes. I believe the final slipcased edition to match between the two publishers in design style and format was The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrun.

Not pointing any fingers here, nor anything negative, but if someone isn't happy with where a book is printed, or the publisher's recent offerings being of poor quality, I mention the US publisher as an alternative.
9 May, 2020
2020-5-9 2:00:21 AM UTC
Just recently joined this forum, so excuse me if this has been mentioned or posted. Found this site with the book for sale, and its abit cheaper then amazon. Sadly havent found one as cheap as the UK one :p

Cheers!

https://blackwells.co.uk/bookshop/prod ... 393625?a_aid=tolkienguide
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us