Amazon.co.uk
Blackwell's
ebay.com
ebay.co.uk

-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

LotR Boxset 50th Anniversary 2005

Mar 13 (edited)
2020/3/13 12:03:48 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Hello everyone,

Do you have any idea about the value (and the scarcity) of this boxset?
It seems to be very rare (never seen on ebay or abe) for a year or so I'm looking around.
I also heard that its of far better quality (paper/binding/jacket) than the 60th anniversary.

http://tolkienbooks.net/php/details2.php?id=1259
Mar 13
2020/3/13 12:18:48 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Looks like as normal my predictions were completely wrong when discussing this here, https://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/n ... hp?topic_id=1951&start=10
Mar 13
2020/3/13 12:25:20 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Trotter wrote:
Looks like as normal my predictions were completely wrong when discussing this here, https://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/n ... hp?topic_id=1951&start=10

Ah yes. It seems that only one printing (only the 1st) came with this boxset, and maybe it was not made in such high quantities.
Mar 13
2020/3/13 14:28:33 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
I finally found one about a year ago after keeping my eye out for several years. I wanted the gilt dust jackets to match the similar hardbacks of Sil, UT, and History of the Hobbit set. I found mine on eBay. It was listed as the 60th Anniversary set, but had photos showing the 50th. Besides the gilt on the dj and a slightly different slipcase, I don't think there's much of a difference. Both are printed beautifully by L.E.G.O. on similar, if not identical, paper.
Mar 13
2020/3/13 14:47:02 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
I've got the 60th and notice no faults with it - sure, the title and the JRRT aren't in gold, but the books are pretty good (they have a cloth header, which is always good) plus the definitive text.
Mar 13
2020/3/13 15:11:58 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
The text is different between the 50th & 60th box-sets, but the other main difference is the dust-jackets, I like both of them, the 50th is on the left, the 60th on the right

10_5e6ba2a7751ef.jpg 4128X3096 px
Mar 13
2020/3/13 15:55:00 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Spotted a set on ebay in around 2014. The price was reasonable (less than 100 pounds) but the seller was not willing to post to China, and that was the last time I saw this edition.

I managed to buy them separately. And now since this boxed set has been mentioned, I wonder if a "facsimile box" could be bought from anywhere? I believe there is a big market for this box.
Mar 13
2020/3/13 16:17:46 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Lawrence wrote:
Spotted a set on ebay in around 2014. The price was reasonable (less than 100 pounds) but the seller was not willing to post to China, and that was the last time I saw this edition.

I managed to buy them separately. And now since this boxed set has been mentioned, I wonder if a "facsimile box" could be bought from anywhere? I believe there is a big market for this box.

Hope not, some people then try and sell them via sites such as eBay as the genuine box-set
Mar 13
2020/3/13 18:57:12 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
I saw a 50th boxed set on eBay a year or so back that sold for £60-£70 or so at auction. Was odd, as I had expected a much higher selling price. I assume it was just one of those odd situations where no one notices the auction.
Mar 13
2020/3/13 18:57:34 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Trotter wrote:

Lawrence wrote:

Hope not, some people then try and sell them via sites such as eBay as the genuine box-set

This.
Mar 13
2020/3/13 19:32:12 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Seller: em_kal (349)
Ends 2020/4/22 17:44:15
Buy-It-Now:
EUR 115.00
There’s one on eBay now (not in the best condition, however):

LotR 50th anniversary boxset
Load more
Jump to Last