Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

21 Apr, 2020
2020-4-21 7:12:16 AM UTC
Opinion noted. I get it.

Collecting Tolkien - pointless.

Posting on public internet forum dedicated to a subject you consider a pointless exercise - not pointless.
21 Apr, 2020
2020-4-21 11:29:56 AM UTC

Berelach wrote:

onthetrail wrote:

I have at least 200 versions of Beethoven's 9th on almost every format possible. I really can't call anybody crazy for collecting.

Elcaset??

you got me

What an odd format that was. I am not certain that were actually official releases of a Beethoven piece on the format. One to look at hehe.
21 Apr, 2020
2020-4-21 11:44:03 AM UTC
Stu you sound like a parent

I think collecting of any type can be regarded as a bit barmy but the only measure of it should be the enjoyment it brings the individual. I decided to abandon any ideas of collecting Tolkien and have gone with a more research minded approach but other areas that I went headlong into collecting were bonkers.

I collected beer mats, yes beer mats, and ended up with nearly 30,000 different design. Beethoven, Johnny Cash, and Jeff Buckley music and memorabilia, and movies have always been a big thing for me and I collect all the extras across various formats, all the steelbooks, different covers of the movies I am most interested in. It is crazy.

I wish I was obsessed with collecting money
21 Apr, 2020
2020-4-21 2:51:30 PM UTC
It goes without saying that I'm not saying anything ill against those that get the David Day titles, for whatever reasons they have for getting them.

My initial post was more so towards the fact that David Day isn't....reputable (despite being popular) and Easton Press actually publishing his material. I'm sure they were probably hired or something, but it just feels....weird.
21 Apr, 2020
2020-4-21 3:35:26 PM UTC

insurrbution wrote:
It goes without saying that I'm not saying anything ill against those that get the David Day titles, for whatever reasons they have for getting them.

My initial post was more so towards the fact that David Day isn't....reputable (despite being popular) and Easton Press actually publishing his material. I'm sure they were probably hired or something, but it just feels....weird.

These are factors that don't register in the decision making process. Sales? Desirability and "can we shift them?" Whether we like his work is irrelevant because this book will sell out.
21 Apr, 2020
2020-4-21 9:56:16 PM UTC

remy wrote:
Opinion noted. I get it.

Collecting Tolkien - pointless.

Posting on public internet forum dedicated to a subject you consider a pointless exercise - not pointless.

You clearly *don't* get it. All collecting (and posting about such) is a pointless exercise. A lot of what humans do is completely pointless. That's OK. Equally, we shouldn't get offended when people think that what we are doing is crazy. It doesn't bother me in the slightest when people tell me having more than one copy of The Hobbit is unnecessary and odd, because it is (and is an extremely hard position to argue, even if I wanted to argue it). :shrug:
21 Apr, 2020
2020-4-21 10:05:33 PM UTC

insurrbution wrote:

Easton Press sells a lot of poor material - they would not have been hired to publish this. They make a lot of their money from "coffee table books", which are basically just various random items with some leather covered boards stuck on (the page blocks not even reprinted by themselves). They do have some good stuff, but trash is their mainstay.
21 Apr, 2020
2020-4-21 10:07:13 PM UTC
Don't get me wrong. Not offended in the slightest. I am completely happy doing what I am doing. Makes no odds to me what anyone else thinks about it.

And yes- at a higher level you can make the case that everything including life is pointless.

But gotta fill the years existing on the planet doing something. Might as well collect a few books - could spend the time doing worse things.
22 Apr, 2020
2020-4-22 3:54:16 AM UTC
I sold off my EP Tolkien collection of 30+ volumes a year or two ago (I had all the Tolkien-related volumes released to that point). My tastes have evolved considerably since beginning to collect them and I don't miss them a bit. They really don't tick the boxes for me anymore: poor leather, thoughtless design, terrible series continuity, sub-par printing, etc., etc. This latest release doesn't surprise me. It will probably sell well.
22 Apr, 2020
2020-4-22 7:10:27 AM UTC
I only have one EP title. I think it's a first "printing"...
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us