Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

18 Jul, 2023
2023-7-18 9:19:04 PM UTC

Urulókë wrote:

Sounds like a small editing error. I have it on my CD set - CD1 Track *1* (did you have a typo above?) min 3:32, and I hear it on the Audible edition as well (3:45 timestamp).

Hi, thank you for taking the time to check on this It is really an inoffensive error, but it's good to confirm that it comes from the audio source and it's not a manufacturing defect on my particular copy.

It was not an typo on my original comment. In my copy, CD1 Track 1 is the 12 second Introduction, "HarperCollins presents The Hobbit...". Do you not have this track? Maybe your copy is from a different region?

In my copy, the error is found in CD1 Track 2, which lasts a total of 5 min 39 sec and contains the beginning of Chapter 1.
18 Jul, 2023
2023-7-18 11:13:36 PM UTC
Interesting! I have the "recordedbooks[dot]com" edition, which is for the USA. It is published by arrangement with HarperCollins, but not by HC directly, which would explain why they trimmed off the first track that you have.

My track 1 and your track 2 sound identical, we're just off by one. Good to keep in mind when talking tracks on the first disc (I assume the other discs are the same track numbers).

19 Jul, 2023
2023-7-19 1:23:01 AM UTC
Very interesting indeed. Did the US version remove the end credits too (CD9 Track 13)?

I have all the Andy Serkis audio books and they all have the opening credits:
- In FotR, CD1 Track 1 is an intro track containing only the opening credits, followed by the ring verse in Track 2.
- In TTT and RotK the opening credits and ring verse are strangely combined into a single intro track (CD1 Track 1).
- In the Sil, CD1 Track 1 is an intro track containing only the opening credits.

Likewise, the last track on the last CD of each audio book contains the end credits (~45-55 sec): "That was [name of book] by J.R.R. Tolkien..."
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us