2024-1-18 5:05:22 PM UTC
I assume the original is in a museum?
This site uses affiliate links for which we may be compensated
Seller: arts_sports
(3447)
Ends May 16, 2024 2:29:44 PM UTC
Buy-It-Now:
$2,999.99
Says it's an oil painting (original was watercolor) and miss spells Bilbo so it won't come up on searches. Has the JTT logo and everything.
18 January
2024-1-18 5:15:14 PM UTC

Luckyshot wrote:

I assume the original is in a museum?
This site uses affiliate links for which we may be compensated
Seller: arts_sports
(3447)
Ends May 16, 2024 2:29:44 PM UTC
Buy-It-Now:
$2,999.99
Says it's an oil painting (original was watercolor) and miss spells Bilbo so it won't come up on searches. Has the JTT logo and everything.

The original of this Tolkien illustration is a water colour and is owned by the Bodleian Library in Oxford.
18 January
2024-1-18 5:23:33 PM UTC
How does this fall in terms of copyright? 3K for copying someone elses work doesn't sound very legit to me.
18 January
2024-1-18 5:27:11 PM UTC

onthetrail wrote:

How does this fall in terms of copyright? 3K for copying someone elses work doesn't sound very legit to me.

It's a copyright violation. Looks to me like someone got a high resolution image file and printed it on canvas (an inexpensive service available from a variety of print-on-demand sites). Should be reported to eBay.
18 January
2024-1-18 6:05:06 PM UTC
Yep, that's why they misspelled Bilbo on the description, so it wouldn't show up on a copyright scan. 100% trying to trick a LotR/Tolkien fan into buying it, thinking it's the original.
18 January
2024-1-18 6:15:39 PM UTC

Urulókë wrote:

onthetrail wrote:

It's a copyright violation. Looks to me like someone got a high resolution image file and printed it on canvas (an inexpensive service available from a variety of print-on-demand sites). Should be reported to eBay.

If I am not mistaken, I believe that someone has painted that, which in and of itself is quite remarkable. The lines and the text in the bottom box are ever so slightly different to Tolkien's from what I can tell looking at various book versions.

All the same, agreed on it needing to be reported. I don't have eBay though so maybe someone who does can do so.
18 January
2024-1-18 6:20:41 PM UTC
I couldn't find the "Report" button? I've definitely seen it before, but I scanned that listing repeatedly. Might just be overlooking it?
18 January
2024-1-18 6:29:48 PM UTC
18 January
2024-1-18 7:59:18 PM UTC
Thanks, not sure how I overlooked that repeatedly. Reported!
18 January
2024-1-18 9:57:43 PM UTC
Given the fact that the official Bod shop has an A3 print...

Printed in the UK exclusively for the Bodleian Libraries with kind permission of The Tolkien Estate

I would not trust any shop with art reprints except the libraries and museums owning them - or a service that has a dedicated reputation to work for libraries and museums like 1000museums/ Art Authority or King & McGaw, for example. (Exceptions may apply with respective provenance but how often is that the case?)

I would buy every single William Morris reprint with K&M if I had the money

All OTHER official reprints are with Museoteca, of course.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us