Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

22 Feb, 2023
2023-2-22 6:40:55 PM UTC

Urulókë wrote:

I wonder if:
  • an early jacket (review copy?) was printed before they decided on the price
  • the price has faded (extremely unlikely)
  • a misprint that escaped quality control

Lots of possibilities and no real way to find out, I would guess. Interesting nonetheless!

Could be a review copy. HMCO did do some advance promotional work for TT ahead of release like this.

https://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/auctions/234181899415

Not that it's definite but strengthens the argument a bit.
22 Feb, 2023
2023-2-22 7:37:46 PM UTC
Thank you all for your help.

I am now inclined to believe that at least the dustjacket is correct for the book and not replaced by someone over the years. If this is the case - this is fantastic - a correct TT dustjacket was a big hole in the collection all these years. It would be nice to be definite about it though - so I will keep an open mind for the moment.

The most plausible explanation I think at this point would be a review copy. Can't think of anything else that would explain it.

Thank you again!
22 Feb, 2023
2023-2-22 9:30:54 PM UTC
Only question(s) I have.. is there not a price on the dj flap? Is it clipped? Didn't look like it, but I've never run across a 1st Edition TT's dj that isn't priced. Also, is there the white band at the bottom and top of the front panel? Looks like it, but couldn't tell if the dj protector is extended on the inside showing the white paper.
22 Feb, 2023
2023-2-22 9:47:09 PM UTC
Nice! I've never run across one without a price, thinking you may be right, possible review copy. I had a review copy at one time, but it had a price on the dustjacket and the notch in the "R" photo attached to compare. The only other points would be if there are "cufflinks" and the size of the gap in the brim of the hat. If you can, take a large photo of the Hobbit and his hat.

609_63f68d4e21264.jpg 313X457 px

609_63f68d4e214ba.jpg 691X781 px
22 Feb, 2023
2023-2-22 10:00:37 PM UTC

dunedain wrote:

If you can, take a large photo of the Hobbit and his hat.

Here is photo. Thank you.

11_63f6907fec1aa.jpg 1920X2560 px
22 Feb, 2023
2023-2-22 10:41:38 PM UTC

dunedain wrote:

Also, is there the white band at the bottom and top of the front panel? Looks like it, but couldn't tell if the dj protector is extended on the inside showing the white paper.

Yes. I just took the dj protector off and there is a white band at top and bottom.
23 Feb, 2023
2023-2-23 1:06:31 AM UTC
So, if the dustjacket could be a review copy, then maybe need to take a closer look at the book itself to see if that has any thing to indicate it is also a review copy (maybe not…just putting it out there)
23 Feb, 2023 (edited)
2023-2-23 1:11:36 AM UTC

LanceFormation wrote:

So, if the dustjacket could be a review copy, then maybe need to take a closer look at the book itself to see if that has any thing to indicate it is also a review copy (maybe not…just putting it out there)

Had a quick look earlier at the book itself. Couldn't see any difference offhand from a standard 1st. Will have a closer look again though. Year on Title Page, Copyright Page identical to standard 1st.
23 Feb, 2023
2023-2-23 1:54:03 AM UTC
That's REALLY strange.

There's always a possibility it's a facsimile (low to no chance because the age on it looks real). I find it hard to believe nobody here has ever seen a TT jacket without a price ever. But hey, stranger things have happened.
23 Feb, 2023
2023-2-23 3:31:23 AM UTC

Dagoth wrote:

That's REALLY strange.

I'd go with unusual or unique, myself, but yes - this is a lovely little discovery.

Dagoth wrote:

There's always a possibility it's a facsimile (low to no chance because the age on it looks real).

The evident aging of this particular jacket makes it extremely likely to be from the 1950s just like the book it is on. People weren't making facsimile jackets until digital printing made it easy to scan, touch up, and print from home or the local shop.

Dagoth wrote:

I find it hard to believe nobody here has ever seen a TT jacket without a price ever. But hey, stranger things have happened.

I'm not sure what you are saying here. It's exceedingly rare, thus no-one here has seen one before. Why is that strange?
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us