Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

25 Aug, 2023
2023-8-25 1:13:37 PM UTC

Mr. Underhill wrote:

Looks good from here. How's the paper? Thickness of the boards, etc...?
Regarding paper quality and binding, it looks very very similar to the Silmarillion illustrated by the author (trade edition). Pictures reproduction looks ok, of course this is not glossy paper, but for the flats tints of Tolkien's watercolours paintings or drawings it looks fine to me.
I have not noticed any misprints, apart from a small ink drip on the list of the illustrations page.
25 Aug, 2023
2023-8-25 5:28:28 PM UTC

Emilien wrote:

I have received the trade edition early on July.
You can rest assured that 'wilderland' has been correctly written in the list of illustrations. Please check pictures below

WOW you're not kidding, that is early. 2 and a half months? I can't wait to see how mine ends up! I'm in the US though, so who knows how long it'll take :/ It does look quite beautiful. Can't wait to see all 3 of them together.
25 Aug, 2023
2023-8-25 11:10:46 PM UTC

zionius wrote:

The copyright page confirms no new MS page is reproduced.
It is quite interesting to find "Sketch of a hobbit" (Art of Hobbit #102, which says it was "supplied from HarperCollins files") is now in Marquette, with self number Ad.Ms.H2. I wonder what would be Marquette Ad.Ms.H1? It seems the online catalog doesn't have these. Could it be Bilbo’s contract in Tengwar (Art of Hobbit #12, which was also neither in Marquette nor Bodleian then)?
I also wonder, where are the Ad.Ms.H.S files in History of Hobbit now? Are they still in the Tolkien family or have come to Marquette?

Marquette does not have the "Sketch of the Hobbit", I have confirmed.

In History of the Hobbit (where this sketch first appeared), John writes in the Introduction, "Manuscript Citations" section (p. xxxi in the most recent single volume edition)

Finally, a small amount of manuscript material pertaining to The Hobbit but not part of the original draft, some of which did not even exist at the time Tolkien sold the bulk of his Hobbit papers to Marquette, remains in the hands of the Estate. These have been assigned page numbers by Christopher Tolkien for ease of reference when he generously made them available to Taum Santoski and myself, and to distinguish them from the two sets of Marquette material I refer to these as Ad.Ms.H.xx (= Additional Manuscript Hobbit p. xx).

It looks like, in 2023, someone mistakenly thought these "Ad.Ms." references were a Marquette citation system rather than an Christopher/Estate system. I assume the original is still in the HarperCollins files (or with the Estate). In the 2023 release of the History of the Hobbit (4th print of the 2011 edition, with Ted Nasmith's beautiful wraparound art), there is also the mistake of attributing Ad.Ms.H.2 to Marquette's collection.

26 Aug, 2023 (edited)
2023-8-26 12:31:45 AM UTC
Thank you! I find the index of HotH says Ad.Ms.H
"designates Hobbit manuscript material still in the possession of the Tolkien family". It seems HarperCollins is only an intermediary for the two artworks to be used in ArtH.
26 Aug, 2023
2023-8-26 12:50:52 AM UTC

zionius wrote:

Thank you! I find the index of HotH says Ad.Ms.H
"designates Hobbit manuscript material still in the possession of the Tolkien family". It seems HarperCollins is only an intermediary for the two artworks to be used in ArtH.

I can't recall right now where I read (or maybe I heard it) from Catherine McIlwaine that Tolkien's papers continue to be deposited into the archives at the Bodleian. I think the aim is that all of their private archives will end up there. Obviously much safer for them, and better for the family to maintain them over a period of generations.
5 Sep, 2023 (edited)
2023-9-5 6:47:03 PM UTC
5 Sep, 2023
2023-9-5 10:21:49 PM UTC
Just got a shipping notification from Harpercollins for the Trade & Deluxe Hobbit.
6 Sep, 2023
2023-9-6 1:53:24 AM UTC

remy wrote:

Just got a shipping notification from Harpercollins for the Trade & Deluxe Hobbit.

May I ask what region you're located in? I'm in the US and haven't seen anything yet, but hoping to get a gage on when they'll be shipping this direction.
6 Sep, 2023
2023-9-6 4:03:01 AM UTC
It seems the booklet contains 5 pages of first-published manuscripts. The copyright page also confirms Thorin's letter is not in Marquette or Bodleian.
6 Sep, 2023
2023-9-6 6:59:24 AM UTC

Halbarad wrote:

remy wrote:

May I ask what region you're located in? I'm in the US and haven't seen anything yet, but hoping to get a gage on when they'll be shipping this direction.
I am in Ireland.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us