Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 »

Re: Tolkien US Editions
Home away from home
From Queenstown, New Zealand
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
I just had a look at all my books (ut, sil, bolt1, bolt2, hob, fr, tt, rotk and atlas) and they all have the incorrect fourth rune on the second line. It will be interesting if they fix this if/when they reprint the ones that aren't in the "set of 5". I hope so as it will define a first and second state of those books, which adds a bit of interest, if nothing else.

Posted on: 2011/10/7 16:47

Thain
From California, USA
Group:
Thain
Shirefolk
Fellowship
I have just combed eBay, and found images of both states for most of the books, so clearly they fixed it at some point. I emailed my contact at Easton Press to find out more information on when the change was made.

Oh, and just to close out the other "error" - I was imagining things with the fourth line - with better images, it is clear that the rune matches Tolkien's map drawing. Red herring!

Posted on: 2011/10/7 22:16

Home away from home
From Queenstown, New Zealand
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Good detective work, Jeremy. I do like the fact that this site is frequented by people that are quite happy to put the effort into solving life's (un)important little questions :)

I suspect that the UT/BoLT1/BoLT2/Atlas/Guide to Middle-Earth probably only exist with the defective rune as these haven't been reprinted as yet (and the Guide won't be reprinted). If they do reprint (and they probably will, I suspect), hopefully it will be with the correction.

The nice thing about these books is that they are pretty cheap. Other than the Atlas which I had to pay a little more for, I only paid an average of about $50 a book, and I got them in two batches, so the postage was not as bad as buying individual books (which probably wouldn't be worth it outside of the US).

Posted on: 2011/10/7 23:01

Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
Nice detective work, indeed. I don't look in for two days and this thread has exploded into life. Having nothing to add, and only having EP's The Silmarillion (why would I buy anything else! ) --all I will say is: their Silmarillion appears to have all the textual errors from the first impression present; presumably because they used this text (photographically) for their edition. Think they might want to update that too...

BH

Posted on: 2011/10/9 7:03

Thain
From California, USA
Group:
Thain
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Just a quick update - the Easton Press Hobbit rune error was fixed in late 2008, and the trilogy was fixed in 2009. Answer still pending on when the Silmarillion was fixed.

Posted on: 2011/10/11 9:05

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]