Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

12 Oct, 2011
2011-10-12 1:32:11 AM UTC
Thanks for the excellent information, Wayne. Thinking about it, I think I now remember seeing pictures on eBay where the Hobbit was a larger size. Of course, this probably means that I will need to buy one for completeness sake. Sigh.
12 Oct, 2011
2011-10-12 3:51:46 AM UTC
Thanks Findegil! I should have known (a) your information is accurate and well sourced, and (b) to check The Tolkien Collector for updated information.

I am going to ask about the endpapers and see if EP has any information on when (or if) the "Pegasus" design was used.
17 Oct, 2011
2011-10-17 9:52:47 PM UTC
Easton Press confirmed that The Hobbit was reduced in size when combined with The Lord of the Rings into a four volume set (before the Silmarillion). They were not sure of the date this happened, as the publishing archives are now offsite - a project for someone someday to go dig through if useful!

Also, the pegasus paper endsheets were used for the "Masterpieces of Fantasy" collection, which was discontinued in 2009. Again, not sure when that collection started, but the original (and subsequent) EP editions have the silk endpapers.
18 Oct, 2011
2011-10-18 10:59:26 AM UTC

Urulókë wrote:
Hi Stu,

Just noticed that you don't have the Easton Press Tales From the Perilous Realm in your list - did you miss this one when it came out in 2009?

I think the cover is very uninspired, frankly. Too plain for my taste, looks slapped together.

Also, "Letters from Father Christmas." But don't worry, here's a cheap copy for sale:

This site uses affiliate links for which we may be compensated
Seller: finebooks100
(1426)
Ended Oct 23, 2011
This item ended more than 90 days ago

18 Oct, 2011
2011-10-18 3:50:57 PM UTC
Believe it or not, the last copy of the Easton Press Letters from Father Christmas sold on Ebay for a BIN of STG£449 recently.
9 Jan, 2017 (edited)
2017-1-9 7:15:10 PM UTC
I have some in my "do not read" section [books reserved for collecting and not taking the plastic off, where applicable], though not many and nothing old or notable.

I have The Hobbit collector's edition, as it's called. That's the green one in the slipcase with slight green tint to the paper. Here's a link here....

https://www.amazon.com/Hobbit-Collecto ... collsguid-20&linkCode=osi

I also have the US Lord of the Rings 50th anniversary deluxe edition.

http://www.bookdepository.com/The-Lor ... -R-Tolkien/9780618517657.

I have the Reader's Companion [based on what came with the 50th anniversary box set, which is a 'mirrored' publication [HMH & HC have printed an identical book], that I'll 'pair' with the above mentioned Lord of the Rings deluxe.

Finally, I also have HMH's hardback Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales. Those maps are spread over two pages and aren't fold out.

all the titles I mentioned aren't my reading copies, and are for "collecting purposes."
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us