1 ... 67 68 (69) 70 71 ... 162

Re: The Wonders of eBay

Sep 30, 2012 - in Collector's Marketplace
From Essex, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif

I assume that a metal plate was created of Tolkien's signature and used for all the books that carry this particular signature. If you look at where it is used, the angles are different, so more than one plate could have been made. Additionally English and Medieval Studies: Presented to J.R.R. Tolkien on the Occasion of his Seventieth Birthday, has a different facsimile signature.

Deagol's article Facsimile Signatures (Nasty Tricksy Hobbits)

From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif

Indeed. It's easy, though, to see why a lay seller might be mistaken in thinking the impression on the other side was indicative of an actual signature.

I note that (fake!) CT signed post-2000 HC paperback has re-listed & hasn't sold yet... (--one for the "Archive", if I could be bothered! ).

BH

You drive a hard bargain – you can have it for £10 all-in – one consolation (for you) is that you do not have to hear the cries of my children, for bread...

From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif

Seriously, what the hell is going on, on eBay!?

I've been tempted, but didn't want to clog this thread, with commenting (& posting) on the ludicrous prices that run-of-the-mill copies of The Hobbit have been going for; we've all noted it, I'm sure. Random mid-impression 1970's copies in unremarkable shape seem to be going for £50, £60+, etc. I have several of these kicking around (I'm sure others do too) that I'm sorely tempted to list...

Anyway, it seems to be rubbing off, generally. What's this all about?:-

COLLECTABLE BOXED BOOK J.R.R. TOLKIEN THE LORD OF THE RINGS DELUXE EDITION 1990

I know it's the last of the "Unwin" years, but £105!? I picked up both this & the corresponding 1990 impression H from someone that posted on this site asking for advice, a few years back. I paid £50 (inc. postage) for the two; price nothing special (--about £20 each). LR had a page (map) totally loose, that had been ripped out; H was fine. So I'm looking at this & thinking "I'll get a wee upgrade here" (& flog the poorer one to someone). £105! Plan scuppered...

BH

You drive a hard bargain – you can have it for £10 all-in – one consolation (for you) is that you do not have to hear the cries of my children, for bread...

From Munich, Germany
Group:
Shirefolk

The same what I thought when I saw, where the price was going.

But what do you think of this one??

eBay Item #130775571276

From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif

To be honest I think someone will take the bait at that price.
[EDIT: or at least I could imagine them doing so! ]

They list fairly regularly in later impressions, but I think someone out there is probably sick of waiting for a well listed 1st impression, & will be seriously considering this. I wouldn't pay that much personally, but my guess is someone might...

BH

By Jlong

Oct 5, 2012 - in Collector's Marketplace
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship

Never seen this cover before: http://www.ebay.com/itm/LORD-OF-THE-R ... tible&hash=item5aea3834f6

Oh, that is because it is not The Lord of the Rings.

Oct 5, 2012 - in Collector's Marketplace
From Essex, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif

Oh dear, it is a first printing, but on a grading scale, what is Extra Extra Terrible classed as?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Return- ... 8a938&_uhb=1#ht_500wt_922

By laurel

Oct 8, 2012 - in Collector's Marketplace
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship

eBay Item #370663679974

wow this sold in less than 30 minutes of going on !
Its nice set for sure but I didnt/wouldnt pay that sort of money

Anyone notice good books being offered less and less over last two months. Got a feeling there will be a mass hit the market in a few months!

From Essex, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif

That's a significant discount compared to other copies on the market at the moment, not that surprised that it sold straight away, like to get a set myself

If you have not seen these Folio Society books, they along with the Easton Press books are superb copies of the book.

By Red

Group:
Shirefolk

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Lord-Films-Uno ... _Book&hash=item564d47168e

Apparently it "provides in-depth analysis of the live-action trilogy and other related films, alongside games, puzzles, and interviews with the filmmakers"

Nothing like in-depth analysis, along with games and puzzles!

1 ... 67 68 (69) 70 71 ... 162
All original content © 2018 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us