Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

21 Jun, 2007
2007-6-21 12:36:09 AM UTC
Thanks to the efforts of Srodziemie (elfy to his friends) received a variant copy of the 2006 Polish TS calendar. This one was issued for only a few days and was printed on yellow paper (where the "regular" issue was printed on white paper). Added it to my website the other day.

Away from The Green Hill Country,

Parmastahir
1 Jul, 2007
2007-7-1 1:55:13 PM UTC
Hello to All -

Hope your summer is going well and that you have a most enjoyable 4th of July.

Put a new calendar of the month up for July. It is a true rarity (only three copies of it were printed).

Parmastahir

p.s. - I noted with great interest that there are now almost 4,000 views of this thread. While the calendars are of great interest to me, I'm wondering who is visting? (I only view it when I note a reply or make a post myself.) In any case, thanks to all for dropping in.
2 Jul, 2007
2007-7-2 7:51:53 AM UTC
Hi Parmastahir,

There is a 2007 calendar on the Australian Ebay that I have not seen (you probably have), but here's the link if you are interested

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-TOLKIEN-CA ... 75862QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Dior
2 Jul, 2007
2007-7-2 6:18:17 PM UTC
Hi Parmastahir,

since you asked (about number of views)...

with 72 replies, that works out to a bit more than 50 unique people viewing the thread each time a reply is posted. I think we get more unique viewers on the thread than that (most don't come back every post of course). I also think bots (like google) are not counted but I have to check that again sometime.

The site is up to about 500 unique visitors per day already, and that is without a books section! (Hard at work at that now...)

And just about to reach 2000 pages in the Guide section, too.
3 Jul, 2007
2007-7-3 12:04:15 AM UTC
To Dior - My thanks for writing about the Australian eBay calendar listing. I had NOT seen that one before! As the seller has it listed for sale only to Australia, I have written seeking permission. If not, I have several close friends down under that would get it for me.

To Jeremy - Thanks for the comments on the views. OK, I'm very much into collecting these so my visits (as few as they are and then only to post or reply posts) are understandable. But who are all of the others?? I'm beginning to realize (as the result of Dior's post and an email that I received from another acquaintance who's much into the boxed sets) that others continue to support my interest. To which I must say, "Thanx and a tip o' the mug to ye!"

Best to all.

Parmastahir
11 Jul, 2007
2007-7-11 2:22:12 PM UTC
Was crazy enough to outbid a rather large (for an eBay auction of a Tolkien calendar) number of other bidders for a 1984 calendar from Norge Tolkienforening. It was an insert into their November 1983 fanzine Angerthas. It actually comes from the hoard of the late Bernie Zuber (from whom my closing is ultimately attributable by way of Hildifons Took himself). So I'm pleased in many more ways than one to have acquired it. Was also able to pick up the 2007 Australian calendar that Dior notified me of. (THANKS AGAIN for the tip!) Also have two from small French society coming my way. Will add these to the website once they get here.

Trust everyone's summer is going well!

Parmastahir
11 Jul, 2007
2007-7-11 3:38:00 PM UTC
I must say I was rooting for you Parmastahir on that eBay auction. The combination of a calendar you hadn't seen before with a fanzine that had primary CJRT material (a letter/article written by Christopher that was published here for the first time) brought a couple of different groups of collectors together into a bit of a perfect storm.

I will be adding that issue of Angerthas to the Guide, I may ask you some questions about it once you have it in hand.
11 Jul, 2007
2007-7-11 11:06:05 PM UTC
Hi Jeremy -

Well, I had not realized that I was caught up in a "perfect storm" (between the calendar collectors and the fanzine fanatics). I should have when you wrote of your interest in the fanzine. it certainly generated more interest and a higher price than (by a factor of at least 11x compared to the average for) the many other fanzines that Farley has parted with.

I will make whatever information from the fanzine that you wish available to you (and any others that ask). I am merely a caretaker of Bernie Zuber's legacy. While I outbid others (perhaps selfishly because I fear - with great reason, I think - that I will not see this calendar ever again), I am not going to lock it away never to be seen or appreciated again.

Away from The Green Hill Country (with credits to Hildifons and Bernie),

Parmastahir
21 Jul, 2007
2007-7-21 1:20:22 PM UTC
Thanks to Dior's eagle eye, I was able to collect that Australian calendar. Received it this week and created an entry on my website for it. It is an excellent calendar. The illustrations are great, the production quality is top notch, and it's simply different from all of the others that I have collected. Could not find a website or email address for the illustrator, so have written (snail mail) to him to find out more about his work. Does anyone here know of Colin Williams (Annandale, NSW, Australia)?

Parmastahir
3 Aug, 2007
2007-8-3 12:22:13 AM UTC
AUGUST CotM

Hello to all -

It's August so I updated the Calendar of the Month feature. This month's is another rare one. Hope you like it and that everyone is enjoying the summer.

Parmastahir
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us