5 Jun, 2016
2016-6-5 9:48:02 PM UTC
Looks lovely!
8 Jun, 2016
2016-6-8 9:18:58 PM UTC
Sold, who got it?
15 Jun, 2016
2016-6-15 3:47:13 PM UTC
Did it sell? I was trying to get a deal done with the seller but haven't heard back in a few days.
15 Jun, 2016
2016-6-15 11:45:04 PM UTC

Tapuvae wrote:
Did it sell? I was trying to get a deal done with the seller but haven't heard back in a few days.

I didn't even try. I figured there was a 100% chance of there being other people prepared to may more than me. I suspect I will never have one of these!
13 Jul, 2016
2016-7-13 11:08:19 AM UTC
Hi all
Guys
I was successful in winning this but have since had shall we say 'challenges' with the seller! Without airing dirty washing in public his attitude at times was far from acceptable but hey ho I am afraid some people have no ethics.

In brief the book did have 3-4 dog eared pages (20mm), some blackish marks on leather (maybe natural in hindsight) and very light foxing on page ends. Maybe this is being picky but as an honest seller as well as collector I would have expected similar attitude in return. Maybe too optimistic at times.

Anyhow I was going to keep this but decided now not too and will advertise on the Bay shortly. I don't want to make money but merely break even so if anyone is interested please pm me and maybe we can sort something out.

Thanks
13 Jul, 2016
2016-7-13 5:46:07 PM UTC
So this is a more general question but is there a way to press out the dog ears on book like they do with comics? And, the million dollar question is whether anything can be done to remove foxing. Google turns up several remedies but...

Looking back at his images, the coloring of the leather is curious. Other online photos of this volume don't show a pure red leather either, it always appears a bit mottled. But one wonders if the foxing indicates storage conditions conducive to leather effects of a similar nature.
13 Jul, 2016
2016-7-13 9:01:03 PM UTC

Tapuvae wrote:
So this is a more general question but is there a way to press out the dog ears on book like they do with comics? And, the million dollar question is whether anything can be done to remove foxing. Google turns up several remedies but...

Looking back at his images, the coloring of the leather is curious. Other online photos of this volume don't show a pure red leather either, it always appears a bit mottled. But one wonders if the foxing indicates storage conditions conducive to leather effects of a similar nature.

No way to remove foxing (It can be done page by page with the pages removed by soaking in a "magic solution", which varies depending on the reason for the foxing, but in practical terms the answer is no. The solution is washed out and the pages are dried (pressed between two sheets of glass, IIRC)).

I have (one time) removed mild dog ears and creases with the application of a little heat and small amount of isopropyl alcohol to relax the fibres. I wouldn't attempt anything like this on a book with value, though, and it is going to depend on the paper.

I don't have a copy of the book, so not sure about the leather. Certainly the 1987 Hobbits are very variable, from an almost comedic bright green on some copies to a very dark colour on others, so there may be similar variations in the Sils? Foxing usually implies storage in a place with an elevated RH (not necessarily by much, depending on the impurities in the paper), and I have definitely seen leather finishes become mottled in that situation.
17 Jul, 2016
2016-7-17 11:36:10 PM UTC
Same copy being re-sold.

Personally, I don't think the condition of this one justifies the asking price. It is a little bit grotty, I think. Definitely looks to have been badly stored.

eBay Item #182208816146
20 Jul, 2016
2016-7-20 2:39:45 AM UTC
Looks like it sold privately. Shame the original seller didn't disclose the information. The dog ears were harsh, and dirty. Odd.
20 Jul, 2016
2016-7-20 4:00:40 AM UTC

Tapuvae (Chris) wrote:
Looks like it sold privately. Shame the original seller didn't disclose the information. The dog ears were harsh, and dirty. Odd.

Laurel/MartinsCat is an old hand at buying and selling Tolkien Books. I doubt he would have purchased it without doing due diligence and knowing he can turn it for a profit! I don't think I would personally enjoy owning it - some editions are OK in less than perfect condition, but tatty deluxes are a bit of an oxymoron; I just don't see the point in owning them.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us