Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

31 Oct, 2017 (edited)
2017-10-31 2:15:33 PM UTC
I'm happy with the edition. The covers look like the 1st Impression's, and HC have got the black and red colour changes correct. They are not exactly the same, but then they are not facsimiles. The slipcase is very good, the books fit perfectly which has been an issue on some of the other recent books, such as the facsimile Hobbit, which is quite hard to get out of the case.

The printing is ok as well for me, and the binding is ok, will probably do a review for the Tolkien Society's Amon Hen magazine this week, so would appreciate any feedback.
31 Oct, 2017 (edited)
2017-10-31 7:30:31 PM UTC

Trotter wrote:
I'm happy with the edition. The covers look like the 1st Impression's, and HC have got the black and red colour changes correct. They are not exactly the same, but then they are not facsimiles. The slipcase is very good, the books fit perfectly which has been an issue on some of the other recent books, such as the facsimile Hobbit, which is quite hard to get out of the case.

The printing is ok as well for me, and the binding is ok, will probably do a review for the Tolkien Society's Amon Hen magazine this week, so would appreciate any feedback.

Interesting. I've seen pictures where it does indeed look passable (for a somewhat-pointless too-small-to-be-useful gift edition). I wonder if it is like Kullervo Deluxe where some were OK(ish) and some were just flat-out horrible. Hopefully my set will turn up soon and I judge for myself.
31 Oct, 2017
2017-10-31 7:59:26 PM UTC
Those S&Gs over at Folio seem to be selling well. They appear to have sold 95 of them so far.

Maybe there is a lesson in marketing here?
1 Nov, 2017
2017-11-1 3:48:47 PM UTC
Regarding the HoMe deluxe set, HarperCollins is saying: "The initial allocation was just 235 copies, which quickly sold, but more will be arriving toward the end of November."
1 Nov, 2017
2017-11-1 4:29:09 PM UTC
I wonder if allocation equals impression; or simply that the full first impression print run wasn't distributed due to... whatever reason.

What have peeps been paying here? I'm vaguely interested in this...

BH
1 Nov, 2017
2017-11-1 5:11:43 PM UTC
I paid $172 (~£130) after a partial refund from Amazon due to slipcase damage. I had originally cancelled my order but changed my mind again at the last minute, figuring I could sell it in a pinch if I needed to. It really is a strikingly unremarkable set (in my opinion).
1 Nov, 2017
2017-11-1 7:24:41 PM UTC

Khamûl wrote:
I wonder if allocation equals impression; or simply that the full first impression print run wasn't distributed due to... whatever reason.

What have peeps been paying here? I'm vaguely interested in this...

BH

Seems unlikely it would take so long to just get an extra distribution of already-printed books, given the printer was Clays.
2 Nov, 2017 (edited)
2017-11-2 8:55:28 AM UTC
I love how HC and Amazon are handling Tolkien books lately. Pre-ordered The J. R. R. Tolkien Companion and Guide.
Today is the "release date". Status? Usually dispatched within 1 to 2 months. Yey!
2 Nov, 2017
2017-11-2 9:01:20 AM UTC

Berelach wrote:
Regarding the HoMe deluxe set, HarperCollins is saying: "The initial allocation was just 235 copies, which quickly sold, but more will be arriving toward the end of November."
I guess that means that the copy (still sealed) that I received a couple of weeks ago is a 1st impression, right?
2 Nov, 2017
2017-11-2 11:02:14 AM UTC

mboswi wrote:
I love how HC and Amazon are handling Tolkien books lately. Pre-ordered The J. R. R. Tolkien Companion and Guide.
Today is the "release date". Status? Usually dispatched within 1 to 2 months. Yey!

Speedyhen state it is out of stock, Book Depository describe it as unavailable, usually means that it has not been shipped yet from the warehouse to suppliers like Amazon, Speedyhen, etc.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us