Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

3 Nov, 2017 (edited)
2017-11-3 3:12:36 AM UTC

Urulöké wrote:
I have ordered a deluxe signed copy myself. I have no idea if these will sell well or be available for a long time from the Bodleian, and I don't mind. It looks to be a fabulous production, I am itching for the silk-screened prints that come only with the deluxe edition, and all of the proceeds go to the Bodleian to support their mission/book collection, so I feel it is money well spent all around.

I do have a feeling that they will sell well, though.

I agree. It is undoubtedly on the expensive side, but it does appear to be a quality proposition, and I'd rather buy the occasional first-class item (which on the face of it, this appears to be) than a lot of mediocre items. For import duty reasons, I have ordered it for delivery to the UK, so won't see until next October (wife not yet informed of her future courier duties or cost of book... Need to know basis...).

With regards to the Silk screen prints, my reading was that the cover was silk screen printed. I assume the facsimile items are printed by whatever means is appropriate to the item.
3 Nov, 2017
2017-11-3 5:27:13 AM UTC
I assume they collect payment at time of pre-order?
3 Nov, 2017
2017-11-3 5:38:23 AM UTC
Ooh nice. Thanks for sharing. I’m glad I didn’t spend money on the crap HOME set.

Do you know when the card is charged? I’ll have to use a Visa debit card so I’m wondering how they handle cancellations/refunds as I’m in Australia.
3 Nov, 2017 (edited)
2017-11-3 6:00:37 AM UTC

Eorl wrote:
Ooh nice. Thanks for sharing. I’m glad I didn’t spend money on the crap HOME set.

Do you know when the card is charged? I’ll have to use a Visa debit card so I’m wondering how they handle cancellations/refunds as I’m in Australia.

Charged right away. I'd be using a credit card if you can. That way if there is a problem, you can probably hit up your card provider (although you might not know until after the chargeback period expires, I suppose).

Edit: For advance purchases, it appears that chargebacks are available until 150 days after the expected delivery date. Not that I'd expect to have a problem with the Bodleian. I think they would be about as safe a bet as one could find.
3 Nov, 2017
2017-11-3 8:33:21 AM UTC
Thanks Stu. I’m in a bit of a quandary as I only have Amex, uhh!
3 Nov, 2017
2017-11-3 3:46:24 PM UTC
The deluxe ordering page is currently offline. The unofficial news I have seen is that the deluxe book will *not* be signed by the seven authors, so they are revamping the description of the book. No idea if other changes are coming as well, yet. More news when I can share!
3 Nov, 2017
2017-11-3 6:20:29 PM UTC
Just confirmed - the collector's edition will *not* be signed. Also, the print run will be *600* copies, not 500 as was in the listing yesterday.

[edit] Also, the book is due to be published mid-June, 2018. Payment collected at time of order, not dispatch.
3 Nov, 2017
2017-11-3 7:25:21 PM UTC

Urulöké wrote:
Just confirmed - the collector's edition will *not* be signed. Also, the print run will be *600* copies, not 500 as was in the listing yesterday.

[edit] Also, the book is due to be published mid-June, 2018. Payment collected at time of order, not dispatch.

Yeah, I have actually cancelled my order for the time-being. Will just re-order when the details of the book are a little clearer, depending on what the final book contains. I don't necessarily think I can justify the collectors edition over the regular hardback just for the facsimile items, but will watch and wait and jump back in when the description is fully updated and pictures are available.
3 Nov, 2017
2017-11-3 7:28:22 PM UTC
What was the price on the Deluxe edition, £200?
3 Nov, 2017
2017-11-3 7:29:32 PM UTC

Velmeran wrote:
What was the price on the Deluxe edition, £200?

£275.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us