Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

3 Nov, 2017
2017-11-3 7:48:42 PM UTC
Urulöké, have you had categorical confirmation that the book will be entirely unsigned? It may be wishful thinking, but I sort of read it as all seven authors wouldn't be signing it. The 500/600 limitation is unimportant, obviously.

BH
3 Nov, 2017
2017-11-3 7:56:16 PM UTC

Khamûl wrote:
Urulöké, have you had categorical confirmation that the book will be entirely unsigned? It may be wishful thinking, but I sort of read it as all seven authors wouldn't be signing it. The 500/600 limitation is unimportant, obviously.

BH

I imagine I received the same information as you guys. I guess it is not entirely clear:

"- The detail in the description that mentions that it will be signed by each author is unfortunately not the case
- The print run is 600, not 500"

I read that as it won't be signed at all, but I guess it could also be read as won't be signed by all the authors (but will be signed by some of them). I'm happy to just wait and see. Easy enough to re-order when there is more clarity, I think. Not like it is going to sell out overnight.
3 Nov, 2017
2017-11-3 9:19:34 PM UTC
I was speaking with Carl Hostetter last night (one of the contributors), and he reached out to the editor to get an answer for me, and in his words "I asked the editor of the volume about their plans for us contributors signing the limitation pages, about which I had not heard a peep from the press, and it looks like that’s no longer planned."
4 Nov, 2017
2017-11-4 2:41:43 AM UTC

Urulöké wrote:
I was speaking with Carl Hostetter last night (one of the contributors), and he reached out to the editor to get an answer for me, and in his words "I asked the editor of the volume about their plans for us contributors signing the limitation pages, about which I had not heard a peep from the press, and it looks like that’s no longer planned."

A shame that they seem to have downgraded the offering. I'll definitely be picking up the regular hardback next July (which looks really nice), but the deluxe edition is honestly going to be a bit of a big ask, if you conisder it will really be £235 extra for the 5 facsimile "sheets" and a booklet (effectively £47 per sheet). The sensible part of me is saying "no".
4 Nov, 2017
2017-11-4 4:17:00 AM UTC
Well, looking at what they did for the collector's edition of "Marks of Genius":
This Collector’s Edition of Marks of Genius designed in the Bodleian Library is quarterbound in Nigerian goatskin with gold tooling and blind blocking on the spine and front cover, and comes with a matching blocked, lined slipcase.

That's what I expect this edition to have too - a really nice binding and slipcase in high end materials of some sort. So I expect the higher price will include that in addition to the booklet and facsimile "sheets".
4 Nov, 2017
2017-11-4 4:26:48 AM UTC

Urulöké wrote:
Well, looking at what they did for the collector's edition of "Marks of Genius":
This Collector’s Edition of Marks of Genius designed in the Bodleian Library is quarterbound in Nigerian goatskin with gold tooling and blind blocking on the spine and front cover, and comes with a matching blocked, lined slipcase.

That's what I expect this edition to have too - a really nice binding and slipcase in high end materials of some sort. So I expect the higher price will include that in addition to the booklet and facsimile "sheets".

I certainly hope you are correct! But that certainly wasn't suggested in the blurb we have already seen, which suggested a cloth binding (and no mention of a slipcase, unless I missed it?). Happy to play this one by ear, and if it does eventuate as a really high-end item (and not more expensive than the £275), I'll certainly jump back in. In the meantime, I'll remain content with looking forward to the content of the book (in whatever edition), which is really the important thing.
4 Nov, 2017
2017-11-4 6:42:37 AM UTC
I intend to go to the exhibition as close to its opening as possible, so am in a nice position to be able to buy from the shop, and look at the books before I decide what to get. The deluxe would have to be very good though to make me look at paying £275 for it.
4 Nov, 2017
2017-11-4 7:56:47 AM UTC
And if it is really nice, you're going to spend £275 on a copy that's been sitting in a bookshop & undoubtedly fingered through by passing browsers?!

Madness! Unless of course you think they'll have shrinkwrapped copies kicking around, which I think unlikely...

BH
4 Nov, 2017
2017-11-4 8:35:24 AM UTC
They normally have one open copy for people to look at, and shrink-wrapped copies to buy, won't buy the open copy
6 Nov, 2017
2017-11-6 7:23:10 PM UTC
The Bodleian were good as their word and have already refunded my credit card. I certainly have no complaints with their handling of the listing mistake.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us