Pictures by J.R.R. Tolkien
$29.99
TolkienGuide is an Amazon.com affiliate
Tolkien Collector's Guide

[WTB] The Silmarillion Super Deluxe Signed Edition in Fine Condition

Nov 21, 2017
2017/11/21 9:47:35 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Greetings!

I am looking to buy the Silmarillion Super Deluxe Signed Edition (xxx of 100) in Fine condition without any shelf-wears, indentations, scratches, foxing, and etc. with original slipcase included.

Please let me know with pricing!

4684_5a13f62967cea.jpg 900X883 px
Nov 21, 2017 (edited)
2017/11/21 9:55:09 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
This is the only one I can find, does have some condition issues though.

https://affiliates.abebooks.com/c/9724 ... 3Dsnippet-_-srp1-_-title2

As you wanted to know about pricing, I would expect that you would have to pay at least GBP £7000 for this item, that fits your criteria, if you can find one for sale.

Good Luck and let us know if you are successful.
Nov 21, 2017
2017/11/21 11:08:35 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
I hope you have deep pockets
Nov 21, 2017
2017/11/21 15:27:46 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Trotter wrote:
This is the only one I can find, does have some condition issues though.

https://affiliates.abebooks.com/c/9724 ... 3Dsnippet-_-srp1-_-title2

As you wanted to know about pricing, I would expect that you would have to pay at least GBP £7000 for this item, that fits your criteria, if you can find one for sale.

Good Luck and let us know if you are successful.

Thank you very much! I have previously contacted the seller, but due to horrible condition that the book is in, I decided not to purchase it.

You are right about this book requiring a considerable expense, but I do not think it should be anything upward of USD $4-5k since another fellow collector and a trader has been selling the signed versions for around that range for the past several years (and the unsigned for $2-3k).

I am keeping my fingers crossed!
Nov 21, 2017
2017/11/21 15:33:47 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

The_Antiquarian wrote:
Thank you very much! I have previously contacted the seller, but due to horrible condition that the book is in, I decided not to purchase it.

You are right about this book requiring a considerable expense, but I do not think it should be anything upward of USD $4-5k since another fellow collector and a trader has been selling the signed versions for around that range for the past several years (and the unsigned for $2-3k).

I am keeping my fingers crossed!

Great, let us know if you can find an edition for less than GBP £7000, that fits your criteria?
Nov 21, 2017
2017/11/21 16:48:12 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Hi
I really don't thing you will find one for £3500-£4,000 meeting your criteria. Remember these are like hens teeth and people pay a premium for them (right or wrongly)
Now for £6999 I might ponder on it
Nov 21, 2017 (edited)
2017/11/21 16:51:34 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
What's "horrible" about the #36 copy for sale on ABE?

Need to lower your expectations I think. Also, what's the deal with trying to buy up all these top-end copies of The Silmarillion?

BH
Nov 21, 2017 (edited)
2017/11/21 18:47:20 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Khamûl wrote:
What's "horrible" about the #36 copy for sale on ABE?

Need to lower your expectations I think. Also, what's the deal with trying to buy up all these top-end copies if The Silmarillion?

BH


To be fair, it doesn't look like a great copy. There is obviously damage to the top of the spine, and severe blotching to the leather around the bottom half of the spine (damp related, I'd guess). If I was in the market for spending this kind of money on a book (or a bit more), I personally wouldn't be buying that copy.

These are only scarce books at "sensible" prices, but equally, if you are willing to pay a lot of money, the scarcity problem does drop away somewhat, I suspect.
Nov 21, 2017 (edited)
2017/11/21 23:09:30 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Wouldn't describe it as horrible though. It's probably best described as...
... the only numbered copy currently online!

Seriously though, if you're going to pay £5K+ for this then I think you're going to have literally a couple of people to sell it to, should you want to sell it in the future & recoup your money.

BH
Nov 22, 2017
2017/11/22 0:20:41 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Khamûl wrote:
Wouldn't describe it as horrible though. It's probably best described as...
... the only numbered copy currently online!

Seriously though, if you're going to pay £5K+ for this then I think you're going to have literally a couple of people to sell it to, should you want to sell it in the future & recoup your money.

BH


Yeah, 'horrible' might be a bit hyperbolic :)

I'd entirely agree in your comment about the positively tiny market for resale. It wouldn't be where I would spend my money. I haven't sold a book yet, and I wouldn't get (even close to) 5K of pleasure out of looking at it on my shelf. For me, collecting is a fun hobby, rather than a serious pursuit or something that demands huge expenditure. But horses for courses and all that.
Jump to Last