Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

17 Apr, 2018
2018-4-17 12:48:02 AM UTC
Thanks, Aelfwine - it does look like a worthy effort (though I might be more inclined to try an inter-library loan). Perhaps it will get a reprint at some stage.

But I do like to rib Trotter for his exuberant purchases
17 Apr, 2018
2018-4-17 6:47:49 AM UTC
Not an eBay auction, but didn't know where else to post this:

Chaucer as a Philologist: The Reeve's Tale. Offprint from The Philological Society's Transactions 1934. Octavo. Original blue-green wrappers. Housed in a custom green slipcase and solander case. A little wear to spine, tears to joints, wrappers lightly toned with a few dark marks, short closed tear to front wrapper, foxing to prelims. A very good copy indeed of this fragile work. Offprint edition, a presentation copy inscribed by Tolkien to his friend and fellow philologist G. H. Cowling (1881–1946), "G. H. C. from JRRT", on the front wrapper and with text corrections by the author on pages 6, 20, 32, 36, 38, and 47. Tolkien first presented this paper, which was originally entitled "Chaucer's Use of Dialects", to the Philological Society in Oxford on 16 May 1931. It was then published in the transactions of the society in November 1934. A rare item with an excellent association. Hammond & Anderson B14.

A steep price though...

https://affiliates.abebooks.com/c/9724 ... nt_UK%26cm_ite%3Dreadmore
27 Apr, 2018
2018-4-27 12:26:30 PM UTC
Received A Tolkien Thesaurus yesterday, very comprehensive book, but incorrectly titled, should have been A comprehensive index to the Lord of the Rings, am now interested in the Tolkien Phraseology booklet, http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Tolkien_Phraseology

Can anyone who owns a copy, supply a précis of what is in the booklet?
27 Apr, 2018
2018-4-27 1:55:03 PM UTC
Tolkien Phraseology is a slim (16 pp. incl. covers) booklet, the stated purpose of which is "to make A TOLKIEN THESAURUS more useful and helpful to readers of THE LORD OF THE RINGS [by] describing the mechanics of the book, citing its features and limitations, and illustrating the phraseology of THE LORD OF THE RINGS."

As the back cover states, the booklet was "Prepared by R.E. Blackwelder and distributed by the Tolkien Archives Fund at the Marquette University Department of Special Collections and University Archives ... and available upon request from the Tolkien Archives." So far as I know, that may well still be the case. A query to archivist Bill Fliss <[email protected]> should determine this.
27 Apr, 2018
2018-4-27 2:12:07 PM UTC

Aelfwine wrote:
Tolkien Phraseology is a slim (16 pp. incl. covers) booklet, the stated purpose of which is "to make A TOLKIEN THESAURUS more useful and helpful to readers of THE LORD OF THE RINGS [by] describing the mechanics of the book, citing its features and limitations, and illustrating the phraseology of THE LORD OF THE RINGS."

As the back cover states, the booklet was "Prepared by R.E. Blackwelder and distributed by the Tolkien Archives Fund at the Marquette University Department of Special Collections and University Archives ... and available upon request from the Tolkien Archives." So far as I know, that may well still be the case. A query to archivist Bill Fliss <[email protected]> should determine this.

Aelfwine, thanks for this, do you think that if I contact Bill Fliss, he would provide me with a précis of what is in the booklet?
27 Apr, 2018
2018-4-27 2:24:07 PM UTC
I can provide a further precis if needed, but first see whether you can still obtain the booklet itself from the Archives. If still available, the cost should be minimal.
27 Apr, 2018
2018-4-27 2:29:48 PM UTC
Aelfwine, Thanks I will ask Bill Fliss, if he can provide a précis of what is in the booklet?

If anyone else has a copy of this, could you also supply a précis of what is in the booklet?
27 Apr, 2018
2018-4-27 2:42:40 PM UTC
OK, I wouldn't want to bother Bill with this, so:

The booklet starts with a brief "Background" statement describing the compilation of A Tolkien Thesaurus, noting that publisher Garland requested changes that "altered the audience and eliminated much explanatory matter and examples".

There follows a two-page statement on "Purpose and Use" of the booklet and the Thesaurus.

The bulk of the remainder of the booklet is a topic-by-topic discussion of points and issues pertaining to the purpose and compilation of the Thesaurus, including: Audience, Headings, Alphabetization, Spellings, Self-correction, Subjectivity, Editions referenced.

The booklet ends with a 4-page "selection of UNUSUAL WORDS, PHRASES, AND PASSAGES" in The Lord of the Rings, illustrating the utility of the Thesaurus for calling out items that might otherwise "slip by repeatedly and appear only when the sentences are analyzed and the individual words singled out".

I hope that helps!
27 Apr, 2018 (edited)
2018-4-27 2:49:06 PM UTC
Aelfwine, Thanks a lot that, it is what I was looking for and will now try a get a copy.
27 Apr, 2018
2018-4-27 3:43:46 PM UTC
Trotter, let me know what Bill says as I would like a copy too, and don't want to overwhelm his inbox. Thanks!

And definitely big thanks to Aelfwine for helping out so much.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us