Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

6 Aug, 2018
2018-8-6 7:35:02 PM UTC
I did a little poking, and it looks like (fairly recently?) all of their contact info changed from New York to California addresses and phone numbers, etc. Could be a hijack, or a change in management, or...?
7 Aug, 2018
2018-8-7 1:23:12 AM UTC
According to wayback machine, their website changed from showing a New York address to an LA address sometime between May 12th and October 3rd 2016.

So if the address change is as the result of hacking, it certainly isn't recent.

ILAB shows their membership still at the NYC address. Their phone number has changed at least once since they have been recorded as in LA. Prior to the current one (changed sometime prior to March this year, but after September last year), it was 212-582-2505, but at the same address.

Email address changed from [email protected] to [email protected] sometime between May 2016 and Oct 2017.

All a bit odd.
9 Aug, 2018
2018-8-9 5:52:16 AM UTC
Abebooks seems to have removed all their listings.
9 Aug, 2018
2018-8-9 7:56:41 PM UTC
I just heard back from the dealers at Hayden and Fandetta, and it appears from their explanation that it was a glitch on Abe.com's part when making changes to their database. It removed over half of their listings and all photos it appears, and included about 50 of my listings without any photos. So they have purged their database and are restoring it today. So at some point their listings should be back up again, and they hope all their photos are restored, so they don't have to upload all of those again. I wanted to thank Trotter for letting me know, plus finding out that ABAA members haven't resorted to copying listings yet. I also understand from speaking with the ABAA that one of the former owners has retired recently, so that may explain the different address's and phone numbers that added to the initial confusion.

David
11 Aug, 2018
2018-8-11 10:53:22 AM UTC
I can't believe the price on these items

Withdrawn Ex-Library Copy, usual stamps to end-papers~~Quite Good 2nd impression 2013 Harpercollins Collector's ed clothbound edition, maps to end-papers. Cancel stamp to fly-leaf and library label to otherwise blank rear end-paper, some staining to lower edge of page block, rubbing and pushing to spine ends and corners of cover else tidy and unmarked with a little page tan. Other volumes in this Cloth-bound 2013 reissue trilogy available

This site uses affiliate links for which we may be compensated
Seller: mgg1000
(13405)
Ended Nov 19, 2018
This item ended more than 90 days ago

I notice a Return of the King for £242 as well

Seller: mgg1000
(14101)
Ended Jun 24, 2020
11 Aug, 2018
2018-8-11 11:13:36 PM UTC
Is it my imagination or is eBay slowly dying as a decent viable market for books?
11 Aug, 2018
2018-8-11 11:35:51 PM UTC
Not your imagination, I don't think. I now have so many filters on my searches to weed out the crap, it is ridiculous.
16 Aug, 2018
2018-8-16 3:42:32 PM UTC

dunedain wrote:
I just heard back from the dealers at Hayden and Fandetta, and it appears from their explanation that it was a glitch on Abe.com's part when making changes to their database. It removed over half of their listings and all photos it appears, and included about 50 of my listings without any photos. So they have purged their database and are restoring it today. So at some point their listings should be back up again, and they hope all their photos are restored, so they don't have to upload all of those again. I wanted to thank Trotter for letting me know, plus finding out that ABAA members haven't resorted to copying listings yet. I also understand from speaking with the ABAA that one of the former owners has retired recently, so that may explain the different address's and phone numbers that added to the initial confusion.

David

No listings still on Abebooks, and I don't believe the 'glitch' excuse.
6 Sep, 2018
2018-9-6 4:10:33 PM UTC
I think MacDonald is just reading Tolkien...

Seller: dursrudyauctions
(1033)
Ended Sep 13, 2018
6 Sep, 2018
2018-9-6 4:17:24 PM UTC
I don't see a signature anywhere on that. Also, seems dubious that Tolkien would use the "Ballantine Books" logo if he were to draw a picture of someone reading a book about him. Also "no". Just no, no, no.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us