The Tolkien BookshelfDavid Miller, proprietor of The Tolkien Bookshelf has been selling Tolkien books and related materials for more than a decade, through personal contacts, eBay, ABEBooks, and now through his own website located at http://www.tolkienbookshelf.com.

His website is looking very nice, with well laid out categories and plenty of wonderful looking items featured on the homepage. I asked David for some background information to share, for those of you who have not dealt with him before.

I first read the Hobbit, when I 'borrowed' my older sister's copy, back in the late 60's. She was working on a dramatic presentation for a drama class, and I was intrigued by the story. After she reconfiscated her copy, she told me I should try the Lord of the Rings, and gave me an old bedraggled Ballantine paperback set. So I was hooked!!! Later on, I bought a nice set of the 2nd US Edition, and kept those for many years, rereading them probably once a year all the way thru college.

When the Silmarillion came out in '77, of course I had to pickup a copy of that, and that rekindled a bit of interest. It wasn't until the late 90's though, with eBay and other internet sources that I really became involved again. That I can blame on the 'one' book that I didn't buy when I had the opportunity. The story goes, some of my family was out on a holiday drive, and stopped by a few antique stores. There I ran across an old copy of the Return of the King, a 1st US Edition in dustjacket. It was a later printing, which I told myself probably wasn't worth much, so I passed on buying it. $2.00 was too much, I guess, as I didn't purchase it. When I got home, I decided to go online and see if I could find a full set, to replace my old worn out one. Much to my surprise, the prices were seriously expensive for even a copy like the one I passed up. So of course I raced back at the first opportunity to check on it, and much to my regrets, it was gone. So I then started collecting the singles and strays and making up sets. Once I got started and had a nice set for myself, I had a large number leftover that I started selling on eBay.

Then the hype started with the rumors of someone making a movie of the Trilogy. This of course forced me to try to pickup a nice set of the UK 1st Edition, and resell some of the leftover's again. The next area that I got involved with was custom fine bindings. There were the really bad looking copies, that the covers were falling off of, or had some other problems, that I just couldn't do much with, but came along with others I had purchased. A friend told me about a bookbinder he used, and I decided to try that on an old Hobbit. Loving the feel and smell of those new bindings, really got me hooked. Now I try to keep a few of those around at my store as well as a few unbound copies so a collector can have a set made up to their own personal preferences. Now my collecting has evolved to the point where I have my own website, and along with learning about how to make it work right, I've tried to branch out a bit, and offer a wider selection of Tolkien related items. So that's the story of how I started collecting and selling Tolkien books.

Of course, collecting and selling Tolkien books means you run across some interesting items. When asked what was a particularly memorable one, David said

Ingrid Pridgeon Letter CaseIngrid Pridgeon LetterI really can't name any particular one, unless it was the 1987 Super Deluxe Hobbit Limitation Number 2, signed by Christopher Tolkien. I always thought it was pretty cool that CT received copy #1, and I had the next one. But I've had some super nice sets of the Lord of the Rings 1st UK 1st Impressions, as well as a few 1st US 1st Impression sets that were virtually Fine/Fine condition. Then there have been a few of the 1st & 2nd Impression Hobbits (and a signed copy or two) that were special as well. Perhaps my favorite is one of his handwritten letters Letter from J.R.R. Tolkien to Ingrid Pridgeon • August 1968 (#736) that I sold a few years ago. I had my binder make up a special leather and marbled paper folder to house the letter and envelope and it turned out so nice, I really hated to let it go. That one I'll attach a couple of photo's for you. It was really nice, and his handwriting is always such a treat to read. That may have been my all time favorite.

I think David sums everything up quite well:

Probably the thing I like the most, is the people I've met in collecting and selling. Many have become good friends, and I always enjoy helping them find just the right book, for them. Always very nice when someone is pleased with their purchase.