Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

8 Sep, 2018
2018-9-8 12:14:10 AM UTC
I agree, I just hadn't found any copy for less than my limit for this book, which is 90. Actually, I was about to buy a copy at 80 someone posted here some days ago, but I was at work and when I tried to buy it, some time later, it was sold out.
Anyway, I have just found out now that Blackwells has it at 65 and they ship to Spain, so I have asked for a refund from Speedyhen and got the Blackwell's.

Anyway, I appreciate your opinion. They are always welcomed, no need to be humble about it :)
8 Sep, 2018
2018-9-8 1:26:15 AM UTC
Ahh good, glad you found a copy. Fingers crossed for first impression (I doubt reprints are in the market yet, but always possible).
8 Sep, 2018
2018-9-8 8:37:20 AM UTC
Amazon DE have the deluxe at €56.99 (plus shipping outside Germany)

https://www.amazon.de/Fall-Gondolin-De ... lexibrium-21&linkCode=osi

Obviously a lottery as to how it is packed.
8 Sep, 2018
2018-9-8 12:21:46 PM UTC
Gosh. I really hate buying expensive editions on Amazon. Sometimes the packed is ok, or even good. Some other times it's a joke with broken corners and damaged slipcases.
My last (bad) experience was two weeks ago with an integral slipcased hardcover edition of L'Incal shipped from France. 75 euros for a heavily damaged slipcase. I got a replacement but it's like... cmon, this is not a 5 pound book...
8 Sep, 2018
2018-9-8 1:13:53 PM UTC
It is a lottery but what I find is if a damaged item is so because of poor packaging and I give a detailed feedback they send a replacement which is really well packed.

If it is from an Amazon outside my own country I refuse to send it back at my initial expense and ask for a prepaid slip at which point they often again tell me to keep the damaged item. My local school has ended up with a few dozen books from this scenario over the years so in an odd way I don't mind the hassle.

I understand though why many here would leave Amazon well alone given the depth and quality of the collections on display.
9 Sep, 2018
2018-9-9 1:55:39 AM UTC

onthetrail wrote:
It is a lottery but what I find is if a damaged item is so because of poor packaging and I give a detailed feedback they send a replacement which is really well packed.

If it is from an Amazon outside my own country I refuse to send it back at my initial expense and ask for a prepaid slip at which point they often again tell me to keep the damaged item. My local school has ended up with a few dozen books from this scenario over the years so in an odd way I don't mind the hassle.

I understand though why many here would leave Amazon well alone given the depth and quality of the collections on display.

My last damaged item from Amazon (HoME deluxe), they got me send it back ($150 or so postage) and then they abandoned it at the customs end, so it came all the way back 2+ months later. Such a waste of money from start to finish from Amazon, who could have just packed it sensibly in the first place.
9 Sep, 2018 (edited)
2018-9-9 8:30:05 AM UTC
Stu wrote:
My last damaged item from Amazon (HoME deluxe), they got me send it back ($150 or so postage) and then they abandoned it at the customs end, so it came all the way back 2+ months later. Such a waste of money from start to finish from Amazon, who could have just packed it sensibly in the first place.

I remember reading your comments about that. Perfectly examples the lottery of it. They seem to make it up they go along with little consistency. Your last experience though is beyond a joke.To have it sent back and then abandon it mid-journey is bizarre.

Not long ago I had a £60 vinyl damaged by their incompetence and I was told to keep it but they had me send back a £7 audio lead that they sent in error for another lead (wrongly picked at their warehouse). Insanity.
10 Sep, 2018
2018-9-10 7:38:16 PM UTC
I don’t have the book yet, so take this with a grain of salt. But the reviews I have seen unfortunately across-the-board tend to briefly discuss the format of the book, and go on to vague and somewhat melancholy remarks about J.R.R. Tolkien’s legacy and/or Christopher Tolkien’s legacy. Absent is the sort of literary analysis of the Tale such as we saw surrounding The Children of Húrin. I have to conclude that the annotation-heavy format obscures the literary value of the work — literary value which in my opinion is very straight-forward and obvious. I really hope someday a “popular” edition sees print which essentially would include the 1951 version as far as it goes before reverting to the 1917 version for the rest of the Tale, without apology. I know Christopher has always thought this to be “impossible,” but honestly, it would be quite okay.
10 Sep, 2018
2018-9-10 7:53:34 PM UTC
I'd say it's very annotation light. There's a big difference between a text riddled with footnotes & commentary (cf. Rateliff's Hx Hobbit) & what Christopher is presenting here. This is the popular edition! ;)
10 Sep, 2018
2018-9-10 8:00:46 PM UTC
Thanks. I am very happy to hear that.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us