Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

29 Jan, 2017
2017-1-29 4:42:15 AM UTC

Stu wrote:
If it was not India paper, it would basically just be the standard 3 volume with slightly different paper covering the boards, and presumably costing more money.

But isn't that what all the current deluxe editions are anyway? Just different presentation and no new/special/exclusive content? I don't think any of the new deluxe editions add anything extra compared to other paperback and hardcover editions, e.g., Silmarillion, Hobbit, COH. Probably LOTR has those two Book Of Marzabul scans, but that hardly qualifies as special content imo.

That said, I do agree with you about the China printings. I sincerely hope the Beren and Luthien deluxe edition will not be crappy quality.
29 Jan, 2017
2017-1-29 6:18:56 AM UTC

Earl wrote:

Stu wrote:
If it was not India paper, it would basically just be the standard 3 volume with slightly different paper covering the boards, and presumably costing more money.

But isn't that what all the current deluxe editions are anyway? Just different presentation and no new/special/exclusive content? I don't think any of the new deluxe editions add anything extra compared to other paperback and hardcover editions, e.g., Silmarillion, Hobbit, COH. Probably LOTR has those two Book Of Marzabul scans, but that hardly qualifies as special content imo.

That said, I do agree with you about the China printings. I sincerely hope the Beren and Luthien deluxe edition will not be crappy quality.

No, I'm not talking about extra content. There has never been any special content on the deluxe editions. I'm just pointing out that the quality of the trade hardack HoME is already more or less on a par with the deluxe editions (assuming recent prints haven't gone down hill), so a deluxe version would be not much different than taking a standard edition and throwing away the dustjacket. I can't personally see the point. The deluxe editons would need to be better than they typically are or the trade edition would need to be worse than they are for it to (IMHO) be a worthwhile exercise.
29 Jan, 2017
2017-1-29 7:10:32 AM UTC
Ah now I get what you're saying. I have been holding off purchasing the HOME Collector's Edition set for a while, but I might just bite the bullet one of these months. I have the first 6 books that I purchased individually, and I've been taking my time to go through them, which is why I haven't been too compelled to get the Collector's Set until now.
2 Feb, 2017
2017-2-2 7:17:23 PM UTC
I had intended to gradually acquire these (have none as yet) but am now considering picking up the non-deluxe HC hardcovers (for example, this: http://www.tolkien.co.uk/product/9780 ... e+Children+of+H%C3%BArin+) instead (as they have the same illustrations (I think) and cost may become an issue given my limited budget, which I'm also spreading across some Folio Society and Cemetery Dance books).

My question, particularly for anyone who owns (or is otherwise as knowledgeable) both the deluxe and non-deluxe of any of these titles: CoH, LoSaG, UT, TFoA, TFtPR, SoK, is:

How do the books (with dust jackets removed) compare visually to the deluxe in design and material (of the cover, spine, and interior (paper quality and illustrations))? Other than the obvious absence of a slipcase, what are the differences?

If anyone can post photos of the non-deluxes (without dust jackets, as those images are widely available), that would be a big help.

Thanks!
2 Feb, 2017
2017-2-2 10:18:14 PM UTC
From memory, they aren't a great match. The JRRT logo has a circle around it and is smaller. If you look at any of the publicity photos for the deluxe Sigurd and Gudrun, they actually show the standard edition in s deluxe slipcase, so you can see what it looks like from that.

http://www.tolkien.co.uk/product/9780 ... Legend+of+Sigurd+and+Gudrún+
3 Feb, 2017
2017-2-3 3:25:16 AM UTC
Thanks.

Actually, that doesn't look bad to me, but I'm a sucker for a slipcase and will continue to dream of the deluxes until decision time comes.
3 Feb, 2017
2017-2-3 6:36:33 AM UTC
Yeah, they certainly don't look bad at all -- just not quite the same styling as the spines of the deluxe.
15 Oct, 2018
2018-10-15 1:17:21 PM UTC
I am in need of your help. To complete my collection I must find this very version of the Legend of Sigurd and Gudrun.
Could you please take your edition and see the ISBN code for me please ?
I can't find it anywhere.
15 Oct, 2018
2018-10-15 1:25:55 PM UTC
Are you talking about this copy, ignore the book in the picture as it is the Trade copy, but this is the Deluxe Legend of Sigurd and Gudrun.

https://www.tolkien.co.uk/products/the ... er-tolkien-9780007317257/
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us