Tolkien Collector's Guide

Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

Interesting eBay Auctions

Interesting eBay Auctions

Mar 14, 2012

I am going to start putting interesting eBay auctions I run across (separate from the head scratching thread The Wonders of eBay ) that I think are interesting or worth a look. Feel free to add your own, or add commentary on anything posted here. I am not the seller or affiliated with any of these sellers, by default.
Load previous replies
Mar 9
(edited)
https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookD ... p=snippet-_-srp1-_-title1

^ Edit: Fairly obvious fake when looked at without sleep in eyes, and not just thumbnail. Appears there is another Alan Formhals, but this time in Canada... Felt tip pen is the giveaway
Mar 9

Stu wrote:
https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookD ... p=snippet-_-srp1-_-title1


I'm probably going to move this over to the "WTF" thread, as it is a fake. There is an "auction house" in Ontario that has been cranking out obvious fakes of tons of art (Tolkien, Walt Disney and others) and they are starting to really bug me.
Mar 9
It's called the "Wonders" thread, Urulókë...
Mar 10

Urulókë wrote:

Stu wrote:
https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookD ... p=snippet-_-srp1-_-title1


I'm probably going to move this over to the "WTF" thread, as it is a fake. There is an "auction house" in Ontario that has been cranking out obvious fakes of tons of art (Tolkien, Walt Disney and others) and they are starting to really bug me.


I did wonder if it was fake (I only glanced at it briefly to be honest). Yep, move it, I think. There is no way to report fakes on Abe, is there?
Mar 10
I don't think that could be true. Some time ago, when they tried to sell a similar one in another auction, I made the overlap with the original.

Tolkien's original is in red and the one sold in auction is in black.

I did the same with another alleged paper sketch by Tolkien, "Troll's Hill", also the one sold by the same auction house.
The small design in black was for sale and the big one in red is Tolkien's original.

2174_5c84c4282aa85.jpg 425X273 px

2174_5c84c437df76e.jpg 255X320 px
Mar 17
Might be of interest to someone. The 1997 first impression seems quite a bit more scarce than the others (even taking into account the official print runs of each impression). Price is NZ dollars, no affiliation to seller.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/books/rare-c ... 1b0ce4544b5b7134ec2058f06
Mar 17
(edited)

Stu wrote:
Might be of interest to someone. The 1997 first impression seems quite a bit more scarce than the others (even taking into account the official print runs of each impression). Price is NZ dollars, no affiliation to seller.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/books/rare-c ... 1b0ce4544b5b7134ec2058f06


I have one copy, but black binding/leather, "Limited to a worldwide printing of 1,000 copies", with ISBN 0 261 10368 7, so probably a later printing. The copyright pages have the same info, just different color binding. Any info on which printing with this ISBN would be appreciated?
Mar 17
(edited)

Arbor wrote:

Stu wrote:
Might be of interest to someone. The 1997 first impression seems quite a bit more scarce than the others (even taking into account the official print runs of each impression). Price is NZ dollars, no affiliation to seller.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/books/rare-c ... 1b0ce4544b5b7134ec2058f06


I have one copy, but black binding/leather, "Limited to a worldwide printing of 1,000 copies", with ISBN 0 261 10368 7, so probably a later printing. The copyright pages have the same info, just different color binding. Any info on which printing with this ISBN would be appreciated?


The one in the listing is also black I believe (It looks a bit blueish, but that is just the lighting). Each impression of these is noted on the copyright page. Only the first impression has the 1,000 limitation stated, so if you have no statement of reprinting and have the limitation, it is the first. Also 3 and 4 have faux leather slipcases instead of the cloth.

The fourth impression is the most common, and seems to show up all the time. I tend to see 1sts and 3rds a lot less than the print runs would imply.

1st Impression 1997 - 1,000 copies
2nd Impression 2000 - 980 copies
3rd Impression 2001 - 2,037 copies
4th Impression 2002 - 3,061 copies
Mar 20
Seller: prinsez_05 (13501)
Ended Mar 21, 2019
Buy-It-Now:
$20.00
Seems like a pretty good deal. I would have bought it, except it has a bookplate...

eBay Item #192864633146
Mar 27
Not really eBay, but anyone on here got this? I was too slow...

205_5c9bc67a55829.png 640X1136 px
Load more
Jump to Last