Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

By Lokki
Home away from home

Tolkien's father signature?

1 Jul, 2019
2019-7-1 5:11:37 PM UTC

1 Jul, 2019
2019-7-1 5:36:01 PM UTC
It is not his signature but some of the letter forms are similar to his handwriting in letters I have seen.

There are differences - such as the "e". Could possibly be explained by it being a formal inscription in a book rather than writing at speed in a letter.
1 Jul, 2019
2019-7-1 6:17:09 PM UTC
Thank you Deagol for your opinion, much appreciated. If anyone has any letters or signatures by Arthur Tolkien feel free to post here so we can expand our discussion.
1 Jul, 2019
2019-7-1 8:02:29 PM UTC
J R R Tolkien may have had read it !
Its a bit vague isnt it and maybe a way to earn more out of what otherwise is i guess a fairly low value book ?

Sorry and i know others may not agree but this item doesnt interest me at all, JRR signature yes but his dads, what next his cleaner?

See one bid already , wow ?
1 Jul, 2019
2019-7-1 9:03:04 PM UTC
I don't have permission to share the letters, but here is a signature from ART's time in Bloemfontein.

3_5d1a74f59d867.jpg 912X611 px
2 Jul, 2019
2019-7-2 12:00:33 PM UTC
Thank you for sharing Deagol :)

Shame his letters can't be seen by Tolkien readers.

I find it amazing that letters from a guy who has been dead for nearly 124 years are still censored and hidden away from those who would find interest in them.
2 Jul, 2019
2019-7-2 9:20:53 PM UTC

onthetrail wrote:
Thank you for sharing Deagol :)

Shame his letters can't be seen by Tolkien readers.

I find it amazing that letters from a guy who has been dead for nearly 124 years are still censored and hidden away from those who would find interest in them.

Indeed, it is absurd. But we have entered the world of endless copyright, thanks to big players such as - but not limited to - Disney. I don't think the majority of today's work will ever go out of copyright.
2 Jul, 2019
2019-7-2 9:49:18 PM UTC
The contents of letters written by Arthur Tolkien should have long since passed into the public domain. Unless there is something odd or exceptional in their case, copyright is not an issue.

Access to the letters themselves can of course be controlled by their current owners. That's their prerogative, just like it is yours to control access to your own property. (Say you had your grandmother's diary, but didn't want their contents made public, for personal, family, or any other reason; why shouldn't that be your right?) This too has nothing to do with copyright.

Access to the letters can also be contingent on signing an agreement not to publish their contents without the permission of the letters' owner(s). That's contractual, and again, has nothing to do with copyright.
2 Jul, 2019
2019-7-2 10:30:23 PM UTC

Aelfwine wrote:
The contents of letters written by Arthur Tolkien should have long since passed into the public domain. Unless there is something odd or exceptional in their case, copyright is not an issue.

Access to the letters themselves can of course be controlled by their current owners. That's their prerogative, just like it is yours to control access to your own property. (Say you had your grandmother's diary, but didn't want their contents made public, for personal, family, or any other reason; why shouldn't that be your right?) This too has nothing to do with copyright.

Access to the letters can also be contingent on signing an agreement not to publish their contents without the permission of the letters' owner(s). That's contractual, and again, has nothing to do with copyright.

All true. My point was more general and really pertaining to what will happen to "today's" future old documents.
7 Jul, 2019
2019-7-7 11:06:48 AM UTC
I don't think this is Arthur's signature. Could be related to him though (a gift to him etc).
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us