Tolkien Collector's Guide

Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

The Hobbit Sketchbook by Alan Lee

The Hobbit Sketchbook by Alan Lee

Jul 26 (edited)

Hobbit Sketchbook.jpg

Hardcover released on the 14th November 2019

This richly illustrated book celebrates in words and pictures the beautiful work that award-winning artist Alan Lee produced for J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit, and includes dozens of brand-new paintings and pencil drawings exploring the world of Bilbo Baggins.

Since The Hobbit was first published in 1937, generations of readers have fallen under its spell. That magic was reignited sixty years later, when Alan Lee was commissioned to produce a special illustrated edition, and his delicate pencil drawings and beautiful watercolour paintings have become for many the definitive vision of J.R.R. Tolkien’s Middle-earth.

In this sumptuous, large-format hardback Alan Lee reveals in pictures and in words how he created these images, which would prove so powerful, matching perfectly with Tolkien’s own vision, that they would eventually define the look of Peter Jackson’s film adaptations and earn Alan a coveted Academy Award.

The Hobbit Sketchbook is filled with more than 100 of his sketches and early conceptual pieces that reveal how the project progressed from idea to finished art. It also contains a wealth of brand-new full-colour paintings and sketches drawn specially for this book, which unlock the secrets of how Alan creates his own magic and provide a fascinating insight into the imagination of the man who breathed new life into Tolkien’s vision.

Amazon UK - https://amzn.to/2YusqEN

Updated:

Deluxe Hobbit and LOTR Sketchbook.jpg

HarperCollins have also announced the following

THE HOBBIT & THE LORD OF THE RINGS SKETCHBOOKS DELUXE SPECIAL EDITION

Presenting two richly illustrated books in one elegant slipcase, this deluxe, limited edition boxed set celebrates in words and pictures the beautiful work that award-winning artist Alan Lee has created for J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.

Sumptuously bound in full cloth, with a miniature colour image embossed into the front board, each large-format volume overflows with hundreds of delicate pencil drawings and conceptual sketches, and dozens of haunting watercolour paintings, including many brand-new Hobbit paintings and drawings that take us deeper into the magical world of Bilbo Baggins.

This very special set unlocks the secret of how Alan creates his own Middle-earth magic and provides a fascinating insight into the imagination of the man who breathed new life into Tolkien’s vision. It is limited to a worldwide printing of just 3,000 numbered copies and each copy of The Hobbit Sketchbook has been personally signed by the artist.

Looks like only The Hobbit Sketchbook is signed and 3000 copies is a big print run.

Amazon UK - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hobbit-Lord-R ... =8-2&tag=tolkcollsguid-21
Load previous replies
Sep 23

insurrbution wrote:
Could be a combination of both :)

I own one of these editions, interested in what prices you have seen for the book, it cost £30 when published.
Sep 24
Via the various Amazons (.ca, .com, and co.uk) I had it seen go for as cheap as about $500 CDN, and as much as 400 pound.

Again that was via "sellers" on Amazon, and when they were posted on and off again in the years since. I didn't get mine IMMEDIATELY at publication, probably a few months after. Got it from my national bookstore (Chapters Indigo here in Canada. US has Barnes and Noble, and the UK has Watersones for instance) and paid the retail of.....$79.99 (though the purchase was assisted by loyalty program benefits )
Sep 24
Amazon is a really, really poor source of information on anything to do with books. I wouldn't pay much attention to the prices people are asking (no evidence they're selling these, is there?) for copies on listings there.
Sep 24
I did see a number of them sell in the past (sealed fine copies) in the £250-£350 range. One I listed sold at 350 Euro.
Sep 24
Here is a picture from HarperCollins of Alan Lee signing the dedication pages for the Deluxe Hobbit Sketchbook, 2 copies on the desk, only 2998 to go. The gentleman on the left is Chris Smith, Tolkien editor at HarperCollins.

10_5d89fc2ec5841.jpg 2037X2030 px
Sep 24
Very cool - and I understand the remarks about the scarcity of Alan's signature - I guess it's sort of more for fans than those collecting, and/or re-sell later (Hey I have signed copy, cool!)

Also, I might be getting the positions mixed up, isn't D. Brawn in that position??
Sep 24

insurrbution wrote:
(Hey I have signed copy, cool!)

Also, I might be getting the positions mixed up, isn't D. Brawn in that position??

As regards the signature then soon 3000 more will have a signed copy.

It is Chris Smith, Tolkien editor at HarperCollins in the picture.
Sep 24
Right thanks for that, David Brawn is the "publishing director" so not the same position at all.
Sep 24

insurrbution wrote:
Right thanks for that, David Brawn is the "publishing director" so not the same position at all.

And that is not David Brawn in the photo, but Chris Smith
Sep 24

insurrbution wrote:
Very cool - and I understand the remarks about the scarcity of Alan's signature - I guess it's sort of more for fans than those collecting, and/or re-sell later (Hey I have signed copy, cool!)

I don't see "collectors" and "fans" as being a different group of people. I'm undoubtedly a collector (albeit not an active one) AND a fan. "Mass produced" signatures just don't do it for me - the book it is on is either appealing or not appealing, and the signature doesn't really change that. That said, I'm pretty much done collecting at this point, and attitudes and tastes change over time. I may not have always felt this way.
Load more
Jump to Last