Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

20 Oct, 2019
2019-10-20 2:12:10 PM UTC
It was €45 delivered from Amazon France and at the moment it is €30.87 on Amazon Germany so around €33 (£28) delivered to the UK. It is £32.64 currently on Amazon UK so Germany is by far the cheapest.
20 Oct, 2019
2019-10-20 2:25:49 PM UTC
I bought it for €41.68 including delivery which is currently about £35.84 from Amazon Fr, I agree it is cheaper by a few pounds, but I was happy to be able to get the item and am happy with the price that I paid.
20 Oct, 2019
2019-10-20 2:37:01 PM UTC

Trotter wrote:
I bought it for €41.68 including delivery which is currently about £35.84 from Amazon Fr, I agree it is cheaper by a few pounds, but I was happy to be able to get the item and am happy with the price that I paid.

UK is not much cheaper, Germany is quite a saving if one is looking to save £10 (price of an average paperback after all). I am more than happy with the price I paid (£37), the book is worth it.
23 Nov, 2020
2020-11-23 1:35:39 PM UTC

Trotter wrote:

I am very impressed with the book, It is a taller book than Maker of Middle-earth, and print quality is equally as good as the Bodleian hardback.

It definitely contains some manuscripts that I have not seen before, I think most of the illustrations and drawings look to have been already published.

I was looking for someone who had both of them.

I want to buy one of these, and only one, because I suposse that most of the content is overlaped.

I only care the content itshelf, I dont care if a edition is bigger or has a better binding.

If you'd have to choose only one by its content, wich one would you choose?

Can you or another person help me, please?

Thanks in advance!
23 Nov, 2020
2020-11-23 1:42:40 PM UTC
Tolkien: Maker of Middle-earth is the only way to go if one wants to choose between them. The wealth of information is frankly astonishing. The BnF book is fantastic and I value having both but for the average reader I would always suggest the Bodleian publication.
23 Nov, 2020
2020-11-23 2:27:25 PM UTC
Agree with onthetrail Maker is the "one". However had to have BnF and Treasures.
23 Nov, 2020
2020-11-23 2:35:11 PM UTC

Eldacar wrote:

Trotter wrote:

I am very impressed with the book, It is a taller book than Maker of Middle-earth, and print quality is equally as good as the Bodleian hardback.

It definitely contains some manuscripts that I have not seen before, I think most of the illustrations and drawings look to have been already published.

I was looking for someone who had both of them.

I want to buy one of these, and only one, because I suposse that most of the content is overlaped.

I only care the content itshelf, I dont care if a edition is bigger or has a better binding.

If you'd have to choose only one by its content, wich one would you choose?

Can you or another person help me, please?

Thanks in advance!

Both are worth getting but if only one then Tolkien: Maker of Middle-earth
23 Nov, 2020
2020-11-23 2:49:22 PM UTC

Arbor wrote:

Agree with onthetrail Maker is the "one". However had to have BnF and Treasures.

Treasures has some great detail, especially the map closeups. I think it is a very worthy book and the reproductions are quality.
23 Nov, 2020 (edited)
2020-11-23 8:14:17 PM UTC
Thank you very much to everyone!

It's decided then. I was decided for the Maker, but this month the BnF has been translated to my language (spanish) so it made me doubt.

If I could I would buy both, but this Christmas I can only have one of them (my wife doesn't let me to buy both xD) :(

So thanks again to everyone!
1 Mar, 2022 (edited)
2022-3-1 10:06:33 AM UTC
Hello Urulókë,

I answer here as it doesn't seem possible to answer to your article "Tolkien: Voyage en Terre du Milieu Exhibition Map and Guide". https://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/w ... ge=BnF%20Exhibition%20Map

In section "I.3 – Land of the Elves", you describe item 15 "Basic consonant system" as follows: "around 1966-67 [catalog incorrectly says end of 1930s] (Private Collection) – p. 298"

Would you mind letting me know where this datation "around 1966-67" comes from? If the catalog is wrong here, I am the one responsible, as this piece of Eldarin grammar appears to be unpublished (it certainly doesn't come from PE 18 or PE 19 texts), and I had to try determining its date based on its content. The use of j for [j] instead of the usual y appeared to point towards 1937, when Tolkien wrote The Etymologies and used this specific convention for what seems to be a brief period of time. Later published phonologic tables don't use j anymore.

Of course, my estimate might have been wrong, as I don't have access to Tolkien's unpublished archives on his invented languages. If you have a reliable source on the datation of this manuscript, I would definitely look forward to ask the publisher to correct the description in case the book is reprinted.

Best regards,
E.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us