Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

8 Nov, 2019
2019-11-8 7:11:20 PM UTC
It MAY be possible that Blackwell's has the shipping included with the price, whereas Amazon doesn't.
8 Nov, 2019
2019-11-8 7:12:00 PM UTC
(nvm, I missed the part about the shipping - sorry for the forum traffic)
8 Nov, 2019
2019-11-8 7:42:40 PM UTC
I bought Chaucer from Blackwell's. Nothing special about the packaging; the book was totally unprotected within standard cardboard sleeve packaging i.e. the same as Amazon, BD, SpeedyHen, etc.
9 Nov, 2019
2019-11-9 12:51:01 AM UTC
I would be happy to support smaller businesses. The reason I shop with Amazon is because of their customer service and returns policy which have been good for me, especially when ordering expensive items from overseas. I realize £60 may not be considered expensive for some, but for me it is.
10 Nov, 2019
2019-11-10 11:12:53 PM UTC
My copy finally arrived (and without any bumps). On the face of it, it definitely appears well made, irrespective of where it might have been printed. It certainly is nice to see some effort went into the design of this one. Hopefully the future editions in the series (as seems there will be at least one more) continue this trend.
13 Nov, 2019
2019-11-13 4:28:41 AM UTC
I received my book today. It really is very well produced. I was intrigued by the texture of the slipcase - it feels matte-ish.

I’m so happy ?
19 Nov, 2019
2019-11-19 2:58:05 PM UTC
Ordered a copy on Awesomebooks.com on October 11, today my order was cancelled and refunded. Not that awesome, clearly.
19 Nov, 2019
2019-11-19 3:17:51 PM UTC
Amazon UK or Blackwell's are typically pretty good bets. Haven't used Waterstones that much... I mention UK booksellers due to them receiving the UK editions (This deluxe edition is published by Harpercollins, Houghton Mifflin isn't publishing a 'mirrored edition', for instance)

Mirrored edition: when HarperCollins and Houghton Mifflin BOTH publish the exact same edition of a book, only (significant) difference is the publishing company. Also the dustjackets may be matte/glossy, and the heights slightly different.
Examples include: The Children of Hurin (including the deluxe edition), Tales From the Perilous Realm standard hardback The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrun deluxe edition, Beren and Luthien standard hardback, and The Fall of Gondolin standard hardback.
19 Nov, 2019
2019-11-19 4:07:54 PM UTC

Éarendel wrote:
Ordered a copy on Awesomebooks.com on October 11, today my order was cancelled and refunded. Not that awesome, clearly.

I have already asked this, but am trying again, did Awesomebooks.com confirm when placing the order, that the price they quoted was the price you would pay i.e. it would not increase?

Do not know the business practices of Awesomebooks.com?

Would love to get feedback on them?
19 Nov, 2019
2019-11-19 7:00:31 PM UTC

Trotter wrote:

Éarendel wrote:

I have already asked this, but am trying again, did Awesomebooks.com confirm when placing the order, that the price they quoted was the price you would pay i.e. it would not increase?

Do not know the business practices of Awesomebooks.com?

Would love to get feedback on them?

Well they charge the credit card at the time the order is placed, so they can't shift the price up or down really. I would guess in this case they just expected more stock than they received.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us