Amazon.co.uk
Blackwell's
ebay.com
ebay.co.uk

-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

Letters from Father Christmas Deluxe Special Edition

Oct 3 (edited)
2019/10/3 9:38:02 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Letters from Father Christmas Hardcover – Special Edition, 17 Oct 2019

This beautiful, deluxe slipcased edition of Tolkien’s famous illustrated letters from Father Christmas to his children includes for the first time every letter, picture and envelope that he sent them, reproduced in glorious colour. The perfect Christmas gift for Tolkien lovers of all ages.

This classic festive book of Tolkien’s amazing Father Christmas letters written to his children between the 1920s and the 1940s has been reworked into a sumptuous, new deluxe edition. It contains brand new high-quality digital reproductions of his wonderful letters and pictures, including a number them that have never been printed before, a revised introduction by Baillie Tolkien, and a special full-colour, foldout frontispiece.

‘My dear children, I am more shaky than usual this year. The North Polar Bear’s fault. It was the biggest bang in the world, and the most monstrous firework there has ever been. It turned the North Pole black!’

Every December an envelope bearing a stamp from the North Pole would arrive for J. R. R. Tolkien’s children. Inside would be a letter in strange spidery handwriting and a beautiful coloured drawing or some sketches. The letters were from Father Christmas.

They told wonderful tales of life at the North Pole:
• How all the reindeer got loose and scattered presents all over the place.
• How the accident-prone Polar Bear climbed the North Pole and fell through the roof of Father Christmas’s house into the dining-room
• How he broke the Moon into four pieces and made the Man in it fall into the back garden
• How there were wars with the troublesome horde of goblins who lived in the caves beneath the house!

Sometimes the Polar Bear would scrawl a note, and sometimes Ilbereth the Elf would write in his elegant flowing script, adding yet more life and humour to the stories. From the first note to Tolkien’s eldest son in 1920 to the final poignant letter to his daughter in 1943, this book collects all the remarkable letters and pictures in one enchanting edition. No reader, young or old, can fail to be charmed by the inventiveness of Tolkien’s Letters from Father Christmas.

I really like the design of this book, could be my favourite UK deluxe so far

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Letters-Fathe ... bf32489e54&language=en_GB

10_5d95c112a262e.jpg 1500X1000 px

10_5d95c11fcd3e9.jpg 1500X1000 px

10_5d95c132a2d7d.jpg 1500X1000 px

10_5d95c14a330bf.jpg 1500X1000 px

10_5d95c16014b93.jpg 1500X1000 px

10_5d95c172528e0.jpg 1500X1000 px
Load previous replies
Nov 13
2019/11/13 4:28:41 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
I received my book today. It really is very well produced. I was intrigued by the texture of the slipcase - it feels matte-ish.

I’m so happy 😀
Nov 19
2019/11/19 14:58:05 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Ordered a copy on Awesomebooks.com on October 11, today my order was cancelled and refunded. Not that awesome, clearly.
Nov 19
2019/11/19 15:17:51 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Amazon UK or Blackwell's are typically pretty good bets. Haven't used Waterstones that much... I mention UK booksellers due to them receiving the UK editions (This deluxe edition is published by Harpercollins, Houghton Mifflin isn't publishing a 'mirrored edition', for instance)

Mirrored edition: when HarperCollins and Houghton Mifflin BOTH publish the exact same edition of a book, only (significant) difference is the publishing company. Also the dustjackets may be matte/glossy, and the heights slightly different.
Examples include: The Children of Hurin (including the deluxe edition), Tales From the Perilous Realm standard hardback The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrun deluxe edition, Beren and Luthien standard hardback, and The Fall of Gondolin standard hardback.
Nov 19
2019/11/19 16:07:54 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Éarendel wrote:
Ordered a copy on Awesomebooks.com on October 11, today my order was cancelled and refunded. Not that awesome, clearly.

I have already asked this, but am trying again, did Awesomebooks.com confirm when placing the order, that the price they quoted was the price you would pay i.e. it would not increase?

Do not know the business practices of Awesomebooks.com?

Would love to get feedback on them?
Nov 19
2019/11/19 19:00:31 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Trotter wrote:

Éarendel wrote:

I have already asked this, but am trying again, did Awesomebooks.com confirm when placing the order, that the price they quoted was the price you would pay i.e. it would not increase?

Do not know the business practices of Awesomebooks.com?

Would love to get feedback on them?

Well they charge the credit card at the time the order is placed, so they can't shift the price up or down really. I would guess in this case they just expected more stock than they received.
Nov 19
2019/11/19 19:13:58 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Awesomebooks as Stu points to, charge at time of purchase. I have never had such bad service from them that I received on this occasion, which of course typically was the one time I linked you all to here. So my apologies for the bum steer.

I received the book very late and refused delivery due to the packaging or lack of that had led to the book being visibly damaged without having to open the package. I am waiting on their processing of the return before they will refund.

This is the first poor service I received from them but it appears there was widespread problems from them.
Nov 19
2019/11/19 21:13:34 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

onthetrail wrote:
Awesomebooks as Stu points to, charge at time of purchase. I have never had such bad service from them that I received on this occasion, which of course typically was the one time I linked you all to here. So my apologies for the bum steer.

I received the book very late and refused delivery due to the packaging or lack of that had led to the book being visibly damaged without having to open the package. I am waiting on their processing of the return before they will refund.

This is the first poor service I received from them but it appears there was widespread problems from them.

FWIW, Book Depository still seem to have it. Obviously their price changes depending on where you are located, but they are currently about £44 shipped to NZ, so I imagine other locations will be similarly priced.
Nov 19
2019/11/19 22:26:17 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Stu wrote:
FWIW, Book Depository still seem to have it. Obviously their price changes depending on where you are located, but they are currently about £44 shipped to NZ, so I imagine other locations will be similarly priced.

Thanks Stu, I should have said I ordered another copy from a Marketplace seller on Amazon UK paying £43 delivered so I was pleased.
Nov 20
2019/11/20 0:04:02 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
If you're familiar with World of Books, AwesomeBooks is basically the exact same type of 'company'. They pack everything in unpadded plastic sleeves, regardless of cost or whether it is new or used. They will give you a refund if you have any legitimate issue with the condition received (refusing delivery was a good call) but sometimes you have to be persistent. I'd only recommend them for reading copies.
Nov 20
2019/11/20 7:22:30 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Stu wrote:

Buying from Belgium, Book Depository lists it at about £60... I've now bought a copy on eBay for £47 shipped, which is the cheapest I seemed to find.
Load more
Jump to Last