Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

8 Dec, 2019
2019-12-8 8:54:28 PM UTC
Hasn't really led to a greater understanding...
8 Dec, 2019
2019-12-8 9:00:21 PM UTC

Khamûl wrote:

Copyright is confusing so it is no wonder. What people can quote, what they can share, what constitutes fair use. It is a mine field.
8 Dec, 2019
2019-12-8 9:15:12 PM UTC

onthetrail wrote:

Khamûl wrote:

Copyright is confusing so it is no wonder. What people can quote, what they can share, what constitutes fair use. It is a mine field.

Best to think of as simply as “the creator reserves all rights to make a copy of this work”. “Copy-rights”.

They have to give permission for anyone else to make a copy. Some platforms (for example Twitter or Facebook) demand certain rights from creators in their Terms of Service, but it is important to note that the creator may not have been the one to share their work on a social network!

Best to ask, always. There are some caveats for fair use that don’t require explicit permission from the creator, but still best to ask.

This site (meaning me personally) has an explicit understanding with publishers, the Estate, the Bodleian and BnF, artists, booksellers, auction houses, etc. for everything that is shared here. I always ask, even for posts that I don’t make. (Not for every individual post once general permission is in place, but still sometimes I double check to be sure).
8 Dec, 2019
2019-12-8 10:37:50 PM UTC
I honestly don't think it's that difficult in respect to written/printed material. Copyright is complicated, but why would you (ask yourself) have any rights to the use of something you didn't create? Unless there's something more complicated going on (like you run TCG) then the likelihood is you don't.
8 Dec, 2019
2019-12-8 10:51:48 PM UTC

Khamûl wrote:
I honestly don't think it's that difficult in respect to written/printed material. Copyright is complicated, but why would you (ask yourself) have any rights to the use of something you didn't create? Unless there's something more complicated going on (like you run TCG) then the likelihood is you don't.

I think much of it comes down to readers/fans wanting to know and read/see more than is published. The internet too has enabled us all to catalogue things we otherwise would not have access to, like the case in point here about the society card art. Fans can easily forget the commercial side.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us