-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight Deluxe

19 Feb, 2020 (edited)
2020-2-19 11:37:53 AM UTC

Amazon has listed the book !!!!

Here it is in all its glory !

This site uses affiliate links for which we may be compensated

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight: Deluxe (UK, HB)

HarperCollins (2020-04-30)

£75.00 HarperCollins (Hardback) - Availability: Click to check
$63.08 Blackwell's (hardback (slipcased)) - Availability: Usually dispatched within 7 days
$72.40 Biblio (Undefined) - Availability: Click to check
$69.59 Amazon.com (Hardcover) - Availability: Now
£47.20 Amazon.co.uk (Hardcover) - Availability: Now
€63.24 Amazon.de (Hardcover) - Availability: Now
£64.84 AbeBooks - Availability: Click to check
£48.01 eBay UK - Availability: Click to check

I like the use of the green of the 1st 1925's Edition of Sir Gawain.
So it is confirmed it will come with Pearl and Sir Orfeo as in the 1975 A&U edition. Also we will get Tolkien’s 1953 W.P. Ker Memorial Lecture !

Now let's hope it will be printed in Europe or UK, and let's hope they will shift a bit higher the H&C collins logo on the spine to match with the oher deluxe editions. (we have to avoid th ugly positioning of the logo in the reprints of B&L and the TFoA)

10_5e4d2a7b46e11.jpg 1500X2157 px
19 Feb, 2020
2020-2-19 12:41:06 PM UTC
Really looking forward to this, some additional info from HC.

The edition itself looks lovely – we are for the first time printing the text in two colours, and it includes some work by Bill Sanderson – and I think fans are going to be very happy to add this to their collection.

I am pretty sure that this is the Bill Sanderson referenced, https://www.billsandersonart.com
19 Feb, 2020
2020-2-19 1:20:03 PM UTC
Thank you Trotter
This is going to be really lovely indeed. I know this is still a mockup, but I love the green used and the motif on the cloth and slipcase !
20 Feb, 2020
2020-2-20 9:29:24 AM UTC
It’s... interesting. My OCD is acting up since the slipcases seems to have all sorts of funkiness happening which doesn’t match with the rest of the books in this series.

The simple motif in the center would have sufficed imo.

This border thingey makes the edition look like a questionable child of the Easton Press and Folio Society editions

But at this point I’m taking what I’m getting, for the most part; I certainly boycotted the HoME “deluxe” editions.

Let’s hope the spine at least matches so I can ignore the slipcase jazziness once it’s on my bookshelf.
20 Feb, 2020
2020-2-20 9:54:44 AM UTC
The slipcases mismatching doesn't exist (or is drastically reduced) with the 1st prints of this deluxe collection.
Unfortunately, reprints are not following the same quality. regarding spine alignments, the reprint of B&L and TFoA are rubbish by displaying logos on the extreme high and bottom... Silmarillion has the worse floating and disproportionate slipcase, etc...
20 Feb, 2020
2020-2-20 7:38:08 PM UTC
The slipcase looks like Easton Press, particularly in combination with that green. Is what it is, I guess - I'm not especially bothered at this point. I'm only buying this range due to sunk cost fallacy (and due to the fact that they can be purchased very discounted).
21 Feb, 2020
2020-2-21 6:53:01 AM UTC
Indeed... talking about sunk costs... I can hardly cry over being stuck in the hole I dug for myself ?
21 Feb, 2020
2020-2-21 8:01:01 AM UTC
Chin up folks. Keep on diggging.
21 Feb, 2020
2020-2-21 11:25:24 AM UTC
I stopped buying these deluxe editions unless they had content not available in other editions. I just don't have the room for 'faux deluxe' and I'd much rather but stuff I'll actually enjoy.
21 Feb, 2020
2020-2-21 2:53:36 PM UTC
The retail price on most of this deluxe editions is 75 pound. I think the initial, retailer price should be 50 pound. For the most part (there have been some exceptions since they started these in 04/05) all these deluxe editions are a slipcase, a frontispiece (of the image usually associated with the cover of the standard edition) slightly better paper (is it acid free?) and a silk ribbon marker. And it's paper/cardboard, not leather or even faux leather like HarperCollin's deluxe editions from the 90s. So if you get the standard hardback of one of these titles - generally speaking - you get all the content, though in a different format.

To me, while I see the appeal, I personally don't think these deluxes are worth it, when the standard hardback editions offer pretty much the same thing.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us