Great Tales Never End, The: Essays in Memory of Christopher Tolkien
£32.73
TolkienGuide is an Amazon.co.uk affiliate
Tolkien Collector's Guide
12345...55
Mar 6, 2020
2020/3/6 19:42:26 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Lovely. I like the traycase as well - nicely done.
Mar 6, 2020
2020/3/6 20:26:56 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Stu wrote:
Lovely. I like the traycase as well - nicely done.

I feel like the people who put those tray-cases together should be doing the cases for new publications. I can only speak for myself but I rarely like slip-cases and generally like these after market trays.
Mar 6, 2020
2020/3/6 22:50:19 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

onthetrail wrote:

Stu wrote:
Lovely. I like the traycase as well - nicely done.

I feel like the people who put those tray-cases together should be doing the cases for new publications. I can only speak for myself but I rarely like slip-cases and generally like these after market trays.

Yeah, I got a two-coloured blue and green buckram one with one of my Hobbits -- I really like it. No idea who made it, but is far better looking and more useful than a slipcase.
Mar 7, 2020
2020/3/7 0:23:56 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
If anybody has a lead on who made that tray-case please let me know. I would love to get one for my copy of "A Northern Venture" (and maybe for some other items as well).
Mar 7, 2020
2020/3/7 6:58:15 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Aelfwine wrote:
If anybody has a lead on who made that tray-case please let me know. I would love to get one for my copy of "A Northern Venture" (and maybe for some other items as well).

I'll ask the seller, maybe he knows more...
Mar 7, 2020
2020/3/7 7:06:42 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

onthetrail wrote:

Stu wrote:
Lovely. I like the traycase as well - nicely done.

I feel like the people who put those tray-cases together should be doing the cases for new publications. I can only speak for myself but I rarely like slip-cases and generally like these after market trays.

I agree with you: these tray-cases provide much more protection against sunlight even for the spine -this little booklet has no spine, but so what
Mar 7, 2020
2020/3/7 9:22:28 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Ithildin wrote:

Aelfwine wrote:
If anybody has a lead on who made that tray-case please let me know. I would love to get one for my copy of "A Northern Venture" (and maybe for some other items as well).

I'll ask the seller, maybe he knows more...

I've got the answer now, but unfortunately he bought it himself like that - sorry
Mar 7, 2020
2020/3/7 16:47:35 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Ithildin wrote:

My favorite find, though, is this review of A Northern Venture in the July 12, 1923 issue (p. 474)

My favorite find is the booklet itself
I've just picked it up from my local post office...

What an amazing acquisition!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!
Mar 7, 2020
2020/3/7 16:50:01 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
By the way, that is the simplest and the most economical of a cloth backed solander casing design. Although it could get a little costly, you can always contact established binderies (the Chelsea, Temple, Bayntun Riviere, Sangorski) for truly work of art solander casings.
Mar 7, 2020
2020/3/7 19:50:40 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

The_Antiquarian wrote:
By the way, that is the simplest and the most economical of a cloth backed solander casing design. Although it could get a little costly, you can always contact established binderies (the Chelsea, Temple, Bayntun Riviere, Sangorski) for truly work of art solander casings.

I think the nice thing is exactly that it IS just a simple cloth-backed solander. I personally don't really like sophisticating something that is itself really simple with something particularly fancy, even if that fancy thing is - of itself - a pleasant thing to look at. That said, I don't like a lot of rebinds either - simple, not too many hubs, not too much gilt, not too many colours, etc. Of course, all these things are a matter of personal taste, and I come from a family of engineers, not a family of architects!
12345...55
Jump to Last